under eyes

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
milkymilkshake

under eyes

Post by milkymilkshake »

I did another facial exercise program for over a year and it damaged my under eye area. My under eyes always look puffy now 24/7 and it bothers me a lot. I have not been doing facial exercises for 4 months now. Do you think it's possible that I have a herniated fat problem from the facial exercises? Or is it just bags caused by loose skin? I am unsure how to tell. When I tilt my head up a bit, my under eyes look completely smooth. Would that happen if it was herniated fat? Hopefully, it's not a fat problem because I heard only surgery can fix that!

I am 28 years old and my parents do not have an under eye bags problem. Do you think at my age, my under eyes could repair themselves and go back to normal? Your exercises were recommended to me by someone else who experienced under eye problems doing the same facial exercise program that I did. Could any of your exercises help speed along the recovery of my eyes?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: under eyes

Post by Tom Hagerty »

You are only 28 years old. Your problem is probably not caused by loose skin under your eyes - your lower eyelid. Sometimes a herniation of fat in this area can be caused by a traumatic injury (a car crash) or even botox (extremely rare). Herniation of fat will cause a puffy appearance under the eyes. If you really have a herniated fat condition, facial exercises can not correct this. Only surgery with a local anesthetic will get rid of the puffiness.

I am almost certain that facial exercise did not cause your problem. The exercise that I now do for the muscles around the eyes is gentle. I do it mostly when I'm lying down in the morning before I get up. I place three fingers of both hands under my eyes. Then I close my eyes tightly, holding the contraction of the orbicularis oculi muscles for a second. The fingers of your hands act as resistance for the muscles. This exercise firms up the muscles around the eyes and tightens up the overlying skin in younger people like you.

Of course everyone is different - has a different anatomical facial structure. I can't assure you with 100 percent confidence that you'll benefit from this exercise but I think it's worth the effort. In my experience facial exercise can do no harm and it can often do a lot of good.

milkymilkshake

Post by milkymilkshake »

I'm glad to hear it is probably not herniated fat or loose skin. For some reason my eyes are always puffy though and it doesn't get better throughout the day. I have been doing your exercise one for a few days and I know it's too early to tell, but I think it is helping a bit! I've just been doing the non-advanced version, but I'll try the advanced version too. I was scared to pull on my eyes, but it sounds like you just place your fingers under your eyes for resistance. Is that right? Thanks! :)

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

No, you don't pull on the skin under your eyes; you just place your fingers firmly over this area of skin. This exercise for the muscles around the eyes produces results relatively fast. And by results I mean getting rid of the baggy look under the eyes, a noticeable firming up of the orbicularis oculi muscles, and a lessening of age lines around the eyes. Many facial exercises take a long time to produce results. For example, it takes many months for the neck exercise and the scalp exercise to produce results.

Look at the muscle tone of Michelle Pfeiffer's eyelids. She has excellent facial muscles as well as a lot of acting talent.
Attachments
Michelle Pfeiffer
Michelle Pfeiffer
Michelle Pfeiffer.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 44127 times

milkymilkshake

Post by milkymilkshake »

Do you place your fingers under the front of the eyes? Or more toward the outside, closer to the temples? In the picture on your site, it looks like you place your fingers toward the outside. Hope this works for me. I read about something called pseudo fat herniation. If that is my problem, could the exercise help with that?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I usually place my fingers toward the outside but I often vary the position.

Sometimes what the plastic surgeons refer to as pseudo fat herniation is just a fluid buildup underneath loose eyelid skin. Eyelid skin laxity can be caused by too much sun exposure, age, and poor health. Once the eyelid skin gets really loose, facial exercise probably will not tighten it up.

milkymilkshake

Post by milkymilkshake »

I think I don't have puffy under eyes after all. I think they are actually hollow in the tear trough area, but not above it. This was giving me the illusion that my eyes were puffy when they weren't. Do you think eye exercises can build up the hollow tear trough? I think when I did facial exercises before, my cheeks built up too much and that caused the hollowness under my eyes. I have not been exercising my face (except for my eyes) for the past 5 months but my cheeks still seem quite big. How come it takes so long for muscles to atrophy in the face?

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

If you really have a tear trough deformity, the gentle exercise I described above might make it less noticeable. But I wonder what your tear trough looks like. Are there dark circles under your eyes, especially dark as the circles get closer to your nose? What causes this is often a sagging downward of the cheek. In other words, the cheek fat pad, the malar fat pad, moves downward. This leaves a hollow beneath the cheek bone.
I think when I did facial exercises before, my cheeks built up too much and that caused the hollowness under my eyes.
The muscles in the cheek are really not that big. The zygomaticus major and minor are relatively small muscles. You can't build them up too much with exercise. You definitely can tone them up though. Toned up cheek muscles can help keep the overlying fat pads from displacing downward. This is especially true if your face is not heavy. Gravity is not a friend of heavy facial fat.

Usually a true tear trough deformity doesn't occur until a person is near 60 years old. Dark circles under the eyes can occur when a person is in her early 20s though. I hope you don't get too enthusiastic about getting any kind of surgical solution. This can sometimes make the situation worse a few years after the surgery.

milkymilkshake

Post by milkymilkshake »

My skin isn't actually dark, but there are indentations that are most prominent close to my nose, which causes a dark shadow. It is weird that it is caused by the cheek sagging down. I never had this before and it developed during the relatively short time that I did facial exercises. Is it possible that certain exercises caused my cheeks to sag instead of tone up? :o And thanks, I will stay away from surgery. I think there aren't very good surgical solutions for this problem either!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Is it possible that certain exercises caused my cheeks to sag instead of tone up?

I don't know what kind of exercises you were doing. I suppose any exercise if it's done too vigorously can produce negative results. Doing nothing for your face - letting the muscles atrophy - is not good either though. A program of gentle facial exercises correctly done can only have a beneficial effect on the muscles and overlying skin of the face.

Take a close look at this photo. This woman has an attractive face. I would look at her if she were in a crowd. But look at the stark transition between her lower eyelid and her cheek. A young-looking face has no sign of the orbital rim. If there is enough soft tissue (orbital fat), you can't notice any change from the lower eyelid to the cheek. I really don't know if facial exercise can ease this problem as a person ages. When fat pads start to move around, usually sinking downward, it might be too late to remedy this with facial exercise. All this of course is speculation.
Attachments
TH3.jpg
TH3.jpg (44.24 KiB) Viewed 43922 times