Collagen

Discussions about foods and supplements and how these relate to the health of the skin and to general health.
Stella

Collagen

Post by Stella »

Anyone has experienced any weight loss with collagen? I have been taking collagen for more than three months...but not to lose weight, but to have better skin. I am quite slim but lately I have lost so much weight hence my face also looks old. But also my body has lost a lot of weight that I am now 45 kgs. I think I was 50 about four months ago.

I was doing some research and I found this info:
http://www.faithcenteredresources.com/a ... llagen.asp
http://www.articlesbase.com/wellness-ar ... 66627.html
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/weig ... nts-3.html

Could it be the reason I have lost weight and now that I am eating whatever, I still cant gain...and not doing any training either..

Would be glad to hear your opinions.
Stella

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Collagen

Post by Tom Hagerty »

With age collagen production slows down, but you're not old enough to be concerned about this. Collagen is a fibrous protein secreted mostly from fibroblasts in connective tissue. When these fibroblasts slow down in their activity, the skin gets thinner, the hair gets stringy, and wrinkles form. Taking collagen supplements won't help this much. The "collagen" in these pills won't convert to collagen in a person's body. A diet that contains complete protein (all the amino acids) is all one needs.

My suggestion is to do some research into the biochemistry of collagen. Don't pay much attention to the "research" on websites where collagen supplements are sold. And that bit about vitamin C and collagen promoting weight loss is probably nonsense. I hope you know that American companies that sell supplements can say anything about their products regardless of the facts. You are not living in America, though, so perhaps in your country everything is honest and everyone tells the truth.

Stella

Post by Stella »

Reason I started taking collagen capsules was simply because I wanted to add to the benefits of my skin...especially for wrinkles and fine lines.
I am not American, at the moment i am in europe to visit family and friends...but I am bound to be in the US end of March, I am currently working there LOL.
I dont know what to think re collagen and weight loss....something caused me to lose the weight though...without exercising that much.
I thought of stopping the collagen tabs and see how I go.
I also read that one should slowly increase MSM tabs up to 8 daily...as it will definately make a difference to the skin...I am currently taking 3, although on the jar itself it says 1 mg daily.
I also know many people that upped it up to 8 daily...
Has anybody heard this about MSM and how it enhances the skin?

Thanks
Stella

maryancilla

Post by maryancilla »

I realize this post is very old. It is now 2017! The info is still relevant though. I recently JUST asked my Naturopathic Medical Doctor about taking collagen supplements for the skin and if it's a waste of time. I have been taking the Great Lakes Brand Gelatin collagen in my breakfast smoothies. Her first answer was for me to stop taking it for several weeks. I have Lyme disease and apparently, the microbes EAT collagen! Ew and more ew! I was feeding them more! Which makes me even sadder about the collagen loss idea, if mine is potentially being eaten at a faster rate than someone who is experiencing "regular" collagen loss. However, she told me I could definitely add it back in soon if I'd like to. Her answer to the question of it being a waste of time and money was this: Taking collagen supplements is similar to having the building blocks and raw material to build a house. All the material is there, but does it build a house? Does it actually help the skin after the body breaks it down? It's worth it to try it out and see if you notice a difference. Some do, many don't. Test it out and see how your individual body does with it. It is very individual. I personally do not take it. However, as far as anti-aging, Epithalon is a FAR better supplement to incorporate, with much better visible and obvious anti aging results in many more people.

She happened to have already ordered Epithalon (a peptide) for me to take as a self injection for helping out with healing some of my issues, so hopefully I get the added benefit of some anti aging as well! I can report back if anyone is interested. I haven't started, I am still waiting for it to come in. I have no idea if you can just buy Epithalon without a doctor, but possibly. Many of the supplements I get from her can be ordered by anybody as she suggests a lot of herbs and natural supplements for me in addition to a few actual prescribed medications. I am already taking a self injection of something else...and it's really not so bad to inject yourself. I was terrified at first at the idea and the actual process. My hands were sweating! However, there's nothing to it really. My needle is tiny and it's over in a second. I have no idea if you can get it in pill form or if it would be as effective as it supposedly is in injection form.