shorten the philtrum? (distance bet nose & top lip)

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Shron

shorten the philtrum? (distance bet nose & top lip)

Post by Shron »

Greetings. Does anyone know of an exercise or nonsurgical way to shorten the distance between the nose and upper lip? I think space between the nose and top lip is called the philtrum. Apparently the philtrum elongates with age. Peta has a few exercises to shorten the philtrum on youtube, but some of these videos were posted in 2015, and in my opinion her philtrum does not look any shorter in 2018, so I am wondering if Tom or any of you know of any effective exercise or nonsurgical method to shorten the philtrum. Thanks!
Nonie

Re: shorten the philtrum? (distance bet nose & top lip)

Post by Nonie »

Hi Shron:

I don't know or even believe that there are face exercises that by individually bring about a dramatic change in the face or a part of it. If a change is possible, I think it is a combination of related muscle changes that causes the change to show. Of course, I didn't know this when I first started face exercises. I used to see an exercise described as being for the eyes, say, and I would assume that because it is said to say lift hooded eyes, that that exercise by itself was all one would need. I now know that it is a combo of exercises that together bring about an improvement to hooded eyes. If the forehead muscles do not get toned so they lift the eyebrows along with the eyelid skin being toned, then the improvement of the eyelids will not be dramatic because the sagging brow above will create an overhang that just makes the hooding continue and the improvement of the eyes not visible. That doesn't mean that the people who teach or post exercises are deliberately misleading people.

You see, because face muscles are interconnected, whatever you do in one area affects several other areas. And I believe that because of this connectivity, it is easy for exercises to overlap and perhaps an area to overbuild and another to be neglected. So suppose someone has been doing face exercises for years and their face tones up well except for a particular spot. The reason for that might be that the exercises they chose to do somehow skip that area, or they overlap and work a certain area more than that area so it appears left behind. Then if this person happens to chance upon an exercise that is the missing piece of the puzzle such that, while also working several other muscles, it just happens to hone in on the neglected area better than any other they had done, they will conclude--and who'd blame them--that that one exercise is all that's needed to fix the problem. What they forget is the foundation they laid with all previous exercises might have been the stepping stone for this single exercise to be successful. Had they not all been done previously, the exercise might not have accomplished anything.

With regard to Peta, I have not yet looked at her photos since reading your post to see if her philtrum has shortened or not. What I do want to mention is no change as we get older is an accomplishment in itself. Think about it: If we are supposed to age with time, and you look the same year after year after year, while everyone else around you is aging as normal, doesn't that mean that you're successfully doing something to keep things from deteriorating? IOW, it is not necessary for a change to happen. To be able to slow down the aging process and keep things looking as if there is no change is a major feat in itself. So rather than getting disappointed that things stay the same, I think defying the aging process calls for a celebration. If/when I do look at Peta's pic, if I do see a shortening worth pointing out, I will share. Otherwise, if, like you say, there is no change, I say kudos to her for stopping time.

Now, whether the philtrum can shorten with a combo of exercises is something that I believe can happen. Why? Because I think any lengthening of the face due to age can be reversed by shortening of face muscles through exercise. I think a big clue that the upper lip has become longer with age is the upper teeth don't show as much when you smile or are just resting with mouth ajar as they might have done before. I think the thinning of lips and the upper lip as well as we age may also contribute in giving the philtrum a longer look as everything flattens and droops loosing the lift it had when there was plumpness under the skin. Since face exercises can plump the lips up and facial skin, perhaps that is one way the philtrum can appear to shorten since instead of the upper lip being thin and lying flat against the skeletal frame, it would be plump and lifted. I think growing from drooping flat-like-a-drape look to being thicker as if you had filler to lift the skin would give the appearance of that area being shorter. Just a guess.
Shron

Re: shorten the philtrum? (distance bet nose & top lip)

Post by Shron »

Nonie,

Thank you for responding to my posts.

I just looked at your photos, and you have not aged! Your beautiful ageless face is all the encouragement I need to start a facial exercising program.

Can you say or can you hint as to which program it was that set you back for a while? I want to make sure and not try that program. I'm assuming that it was not Eva Fraser or CFF. You obviously know what you are doing, and you are getting great results, and I just want to avoid the program that had temporarily set you back.

Thank you again!!