1st post! Buccolabial, jowls, low eyebrows :)

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Shron

1st post! Buccolabial, jowls, low eyebrows :)

Post by Shron »

(please excuse misspellings. The spell check on my computer "corrects" the official muscle names, even after I go back and correct the mis-correction!)

Greetings. This is my first post. I'm a female turning 50 soon. I ordered the cd yesterday, and while I wait for it, I'm hoping that you all will please point me in the right direction regarding exercises for my issues below:

1) Dent above each mouth corner. Note that the dents at my mouth corners are NOT part of my nasolabial folds, nor are they wrinkles. These two dents look like shadows, like I drank chocolate milk and it left a small mustache or skin depression above each mouth corners. The fact that these 2 dents are symmetrical makes me think that it is underlying muscles peaking through my orbicularis oris. These dents only appeared within the last year, so I guess my orbicularis oris has thinned out. Are there exercises that would strengthen or thicken my orbicularis oris to help hide the dents?

Dents.jpg
Dents.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 5815 times

2) buccolabial folds. I do not think that I have marionette lines. Instead I have jowls underneath each mouth corner.

3) low eyebrow position. I have always, even as a child, had low eyebrows and a slight brow ridge. Is there a particular thread(s) regarding scalp exercises that I should study? I can slightly move my occipitalis, but when I do it only seems to move my ears and not raise my eyebrows. Since I've always had low eyebrow position, perhaps there is nothing to be done about it. I guess I will only find out when I master control of my occipitalis.

4) jowls. My facial shape used to be that of a heart or triangle, with wide cheekbones and a V shaped jaw.

5) skin when underside of chin connects to throat is starting to slacken. (My thyroid was removed 10 years ago, and after the surgery, I felt like the area under my chin and along my throat were not as toned as before.

6) general question: is there only one CD or are there multiple volumes? I am wondering if I bought the correct CD.

I welcome any and all feedback. Thank you for even taking the time to read this. Have a lovely day!!

Thank you!!
Shron

indentions above upper lip - which exercise would help?

Post by Shron »

Hello. I first posted my question last year, but wanted to follow up on it.

When I turned 49, I developed 2 shallow symmetrical dents above my upper lip. These dents are not part of my nasolabial folds. These are indentions, not wrinkles, and they do not show up in 2-d photos, so I had to draw a sketch, but they are visible in person. In sketch, the dents are shown in red and are above upper lip. Either the muscles that insert into my mouth have separated, or fat has shifted. But these are definitely age related.

In person, these dents create shadows that sits just inside the corners of my mouth, and the shadow is shaped like a milk mustache, or the type of koolaid mustache that a child gets from drinking from a glass. Except that I always drink with a straw, so these indentions are not from a glass.

Anyway, will someone please give me their opinion regarding which exercise might improve the appearance of these shallow dents?

Thank you!

Dents 2.jpg
Dents 2.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 5812 times
Last edited by Shron on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: 1st post! Buccolabial, jowls, low eyebrows :)

Post by Tom Hagerty »

1. The corners of your mouth droop down a bit. Perhaps Exercise Two and Exercise Six of my program can correct the droop to some extent. These exercises might also erase or partially erase the indentations close to the ends of your mouth. Orbicularis oris muscles when they are toned up smooth out any hollows in the overlying skin.

Philtral ridges - These ridges border the central groove on the external surface of the upper lip. The shape of the philtrum cannot be altered by facial exercise. Women who were born with a pronounced philtrum usually have the desirable Cupid's bow. You have pronounced philtral ridges. Exercise Two and Six will not alter the shape or length of this desirable facial feature.

2. Getting rid of that slight droop of your mouth through proper facial exercise might correct jowl formation to some extent. Good facial posture might help too. Hold your head high - no slouching over.

3. "Low eyebrow position." A strong, toned-up occipitalis muscle might raise your eyebrows a bit, but the scalp exercise mostly keeps already high eyebrows from falling. It's a preventive measure, not a corrective measure.

4. Jowls once they appear are hard to correct. I think my program of facial exercises can to some degree keep them in cheek though.

5. The skin under you chin and at the front of your neck is starting to slacken. Exercise Four - The Muscles at the Front of the Neck - is a great preventive exercise to keep that area in good shape. I do this exercise every day. But once the skin in that area gets loose, it's hard to tighten it up again.

6. There is only one DVD (which I'm sending to you in about an hour). You will also get a twenty-page booklet with many ideas on how to maintain a young-looking face. I hope these items will help you.
Shron

Post by Shron »

Tom,

Thank you!! I was giddy when I saw your thorough response :) I turn 50 this month. The way I was checking the forum for a response from you reminded me of being a teenager, eagerly awaiting a special call :lol:

Follow-up question: is there is an exercise that can shorten the vertical skin distance between the bottom of the nose and the top of the upper lip? I understand what you mean about the ridges and the cupid's bow, and I'm happy with my ridges and cupid's bow. What disappoints me is that the skin between bottom of my nose and top of my upper lip has lengthened or stretched. I know that our top lip deflates with age, but the skin between the bottom of nose and top of upper lip lengthens with age, and this increased vertical distance is one of those subtle age tip-offs that we subconsciously detect but we can't put our finger on.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I plan on doing all of your suggestions, and hopefully by this time next year I'll have good news to report!
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

"is there is an exercise that can shorten the vertical skin distance between the bottom of the nose and the top of the upper lip?"

I can't even imagine such an exercise but maybe my imagination is defective. What do you think of this actress? She has a rather long distance between her nose and the top of her upper lip. I just saw her in Key Largo a few nights ago on TCM. Of course she was young then and in love with Humphrey Bogart.

Lauren Bacall2.jpg
Lauren Bacall2.jpg (5.55 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
Shron

Post by Shron »

Here's looking at you, kid. I guess it helped her whistle :lol:

(For those who haven't seen the movie Key Largo, I'm quoting it)