Marionette and Nasal Labial Folds

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Linda

Marionette and Nasal Labial Folds

Post by Linda »

Hi Tom,

I do facial exercises but notice that as I get older I'm starting to develop marionette folds (not etched lines, but slight skin fold). I also see these folds around the nose area too.....

I would hate to get fillers to fix it and was hoping there is a way to lift or fill in these areas with exercises. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Linda

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Marionette and Nasal Labial Folds

Post by Tom Hagerty »

As you get older the youthful tone of the facial muscles diminishes. When the firmness of the muscles fades away the overlying skin assumes a droopy appearance. The exercises I demonstrate and talk about in my video and on my website keep these facial muscles tight and toned-up. The skin covering these firm muscles stays tight too. Take a close look at my 86-year-old face in the photo that was taken on May 9, 2018. You will not see any deep nasal-labial lines or marionette lines.

Recent photo
Recent photo
Tom 4.png (160.63 KiB) Viewed 2818 times

That's because I do the facial exercise program three times a week, perhaps a 15 to 20 minute workout. I do all the exercises correctly, focusing on good form. This keeps the skin from sagging, especially around the nose, mouth, chin area. But even though you asked about the formation of marionette lines, it's the sagging of the skin at the front of the neck that can make a person reluctant to view herself in the mirror. The exercise for the area at the front of the neck is crucial for keeping the platysma and other smaller neck muscles in shape.

Just one more thing which can destroy the look of an otherwise good face. Yo-yo dieting, going up and down in body weight, can destroy the youth and expressiveness of an otherwise attractive face. And please, not too much sun either!

Linda

Re: Marionette and Nasal Labial Folds

Post by Linda »

Wow, you look great. Thanks Tom!