My Picture and face issues, and can they be fixed?

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Neptune1

My Picture and face issues, and can they be fixed?

Post by Neptune1 »

Hi, I just joined the group. Glad to be here and hope to get some encouragement and suggestions.
A little about myself. I just turned 60, I'm 6ft 2, 157-160 Pounds, (varies a little) my family is like
me, tall and slender. I've been a tall and skinny guy all my life till about 5-7 years ago I first noticed
a little weight around my waist that I need to lose. Otherwise I have never been much overweight ever.

As for my face: I attached a couple of pictures. What I first started to notice about 5 years ago was that little bulge, cheek area that goes down under my chin. What is that? I've seen it on other people also. Is that fat or water retention or just getting older? It is on both sides, but more on the left side. It starts on my cheeks goes down around my jowel then under. Its not that bad but it reallly bothers me. I also noticed my skin under my chin and my neck is a little loose, never used to be. I really started just noticing it, and was surprised that when I bend over it kind of droops a little. Really made me feel old and not so good inside. I'm currently on a good, clean diet and feel like some of the facial issues and puffiness is water, but again not sure.

My wife and i both bought a facial flex about a year ago and have used it. It seems to work very slightly but not too much change. Maybe its stopped things from getting any worse but not that sure.

I am into trying anything and am totally open minded. I had a couple of of DVDs, one called "The Facial Workout" and Carol Maggio, ultimate facercise.

Here is my obvious questions: Can anyone tell me about what they see as far as the condition of my face issues that I mentioned and is there anything that I can do and what are the best exercises or DVD's to use and or purchase? Are my face issues fixable?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back.

Oh also, thanks to Tom for getting me registered.
Attachments
pic2.JPG
pic2.JPG (38.84 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
pic1.JPG
pic1.JPG (39.5 KiB) Viewed 5686 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: My Picture and face issues, and can they be fixed?

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Your lower face looks good for your age - 60. Without the proper facial exercise, though, the fat pads under your eyes and in your cheeks can become smaller and even migrate downward. Take a look at the drawing:

Facial fat pads.png
Facial fat pads.png (81.51 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
You can see what natural aging can do to facial fat pads. I am almost sure, but not completely sure, that proper facial exercise can slow down the deterioration of these adipose tissues. In my opinion, the worst thing one can do to the face is yo-yo dieting. This gaining and losing weight can quicken the aging process. You are not doing this. To lose that little weight around your waist it's best to eat a few less calories and do a little more exercise.

Your neck is long and in relatively good shape. I think that now is a good time to start my exercise for toning up the neck. This exercise will also give you a trim jaw line. It is certainly worth a try. Do this exercise correctly stressing good form.

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Neptune1 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 pm
As for my face: I attached a couple of pictures. What I first started to notice about 5 years ago was that little bulge, cheek area that goes down under my chin. What is that? I've seen it on other people also. Is that fat or water retention or just getting older? It is on both sides, but more on the left side. It starts on my cheeks goes down around my jowl then under. Its not that bad but it really bothers me. I also noticed my skin under my chin and my neck is a little loose, never used to be. I really started just noticing it, and was surprised that when I bend over it kind of droops a little. Really made me feel old and not so good inside. I'm currently on a good, clean diet and feel like some of the facial issues and puffiness is water, but again not sure.
As for what that bulge is... I confess that I really make an effort not to understand facial anatomy. I instead leave that to Tom et al and just trust their wisdom and advice. After all, the only time the idea of understanding facial anatomy seemed like a necessary part of face exercises is the one time I was not happy with my results. And it wasn't as if that knowledge helped me figure out how to fix issues that resulted from the program. So ignorance is bliss and blind faith in good instructors is my modus operandi.

Nevertheless, I did find an article you might enjoy, if reading scholarly stuff is the sort of thing that tickles your fancy. From a cursory read of the section relevant to your question, it seems the bulge could be as a result of one or more of the following: fat (submental fat pad?), loose platysma which parts under the chin as we age, muscle atrophy and fat loss of the face causing skin laxity/sag that causes everything to hang.... Add to that bone loss that accompanies aging making jaws shrink upward and we lose the frame that was not only giving shape and support to the face, but also keeping everything under the chin hidden. This, as the article says, results in an "exposure of the submental contents, including the submaxillary gland". (More on that here.)
Neptune1 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 pm
Here is my obvious questions: Can anyone tell me about what they see as far as the condition of my face issues that I mentioned and is there anything that I can do and what are the best exercises or DVD's to use and or purchase? Are my face issues fixable?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to hearing back.
I just wanted to tell you that I think you look great for your age. It is clear to me you take good care of yourself. :) Tom's advice on what to do echoes my sentiments. His own jawline is a testament of how well his exercises work. I would recommend doing the whole program though, not just the neck exercises, since facial muscles are interconnected. You need to tone all the muscles above the neck/chin as well in order to provide the support that will help keep everything lifted.

Neptune1

Post by Neptune1 »

Thank you Tom and Nonie!

Yes I have really tried to take care of my face over the years and I've always used moisturizer.

I agree on doing the whole program too and not just target one area.

Couple questions. How long does it take to start seeing results?

Also what do you think of the facercise YouTube videos? That lady looks amazing.

One more. I'm trying to lose a little weight around Mr waist will I also see some weight loss in my face once I start to lose some weight?

Oh also where are all the videos located for the face exercises?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

You asked a question many people ask, "How long does it take to start seeing results?"

I just saw an interview on one of those facial exercise sites. The woman said that positive results can be seen in five days. That seems to be a long time to wait. Perhaps two or three days would be better. I wonder what Nonie thinks about this. In my experience, improvement takes a long time - six months to a year. But if you want to believe that Hollywood's best kept secrets jargon, you can achieve that Malibu look in just a few days - in time for a great season on the beach.

"...will I also see some weight loss in my face once I start to lose some weight?"

Yes, an all-round loss in body weight will make your face thinner and give it more definition. Keeping lean will make your face more expressive and attractive. That is indeed a Hollywood best kept secret.

Lean body/lean face
Lean body/lean face
Leonardo (2).jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 5567 times

For some facial exercise videos click Exercise One as an example. There are more videos under the various Facial Exercise tabs on my website.

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Tom Hagerty wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 am
You asked a question many people ask, "How long does it take to start seeing results?"

I just saw an interview on one of those facial exercise sites. The woman said that positive results can be seen in five days. That seems to be a long time to wait. Perhaps two or three days would be better. I wonder what Nonie thinks about this. In my experience, improvement takes a long time - six months to a year. But if you want to believe that Hollywood's best kept secrets jargon, you can achieve that Malibu look in just a few days - in time for a great season on the beach.
Leonardo (2).jpg
Tom, I'm with you on this: I don't think it is possible to see results in such short a time. It is true that right after you perform an exercise, you might see what seems like a change...but one which lasts only a short time. IMO, whatever change you see after a facial workout is a hint of things to come. But I don't think those results will manifest themselves in a lasting way within only a few days or even weeks. I do believe it takes much longer. After all, your facial muscles didn't get to how they are now in a few days or weeks...so how can it be possible to undo so many years of letting nature take its course in such a short time? Ever heard the adage "easy come, easy go"? IMO a good program takes time to mold your face back to how it was and keep it that way. So if anyone is in a hurry to see results, then maybe face exercises are not the way to go.
Tom Hagerty wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:44 am
For some facial exercise videos click Exercise One as an example. There are more videos under the various Facial Exercise tabs on my website.
Yes, the videos that are publicly available are also on Tom's YouTube Channel, but most exercises are just explained in words with an image to give a visual of the exercise--which is how most of us learned the program. Alternatively, you can order a DVD of all Tom's exercises here.

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Neptune1 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 pm
Also what do you think of the facercise YouTube videos? That lady looks amazing.
Do you mean Facercise by Carole Maggio? Or Face Aerobics by Peta Prior?

Carole Maggio has videos on Youtube that demonstrate some of her exercises but I believe you need to buy her program to get the full program. Peta Prior, however, has videos of her program on her Youtube Channel and keeps adding new exercises as she deems them necessary. Both are good programs, IMO, and people who do them swear by them.

So I don't think doing Facercise from Youtube is a good idea, since you won't get the full program that way. But Face Aerobics is on Youtube in its entirety AFAIK. The only thing I would suggest for a newbie considering Face Aerobics is not to be tempted to do only the exercises that promise to fix problem areas. I believe laying down a good foundation with the basic full face program first before doing the specific part exercises is best. Peta explains in a lot of her videos that she added a new exercise because her face changed in a way she didn't like. So she has been building on what she has achieved previously and I believe that is why her results are so good. It is like she is continually tweaking her results...so if you start with just the tweaking without having first laid a good foundation, I doubt you will be as happy with the program as she apparently is.

I always recommend reaching out to the author of the program you want to do so you can get some guidance on how best to start or proceed. I don't think you can go wrong with either program.

Neptune1

Post by Neptune1 »

Hello and thank you for all the information. Yes I was just referring to Peta Priors program. I actually have Carole Maggios DVD program that I bought awhile back but have not tried it yet.

Which ever program I decide I intend on doing the whole face as you have mentioned.

Also how often should I do the exercises? Daily or 3 times a week etc?

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Neptune1 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm
Also how often should I do the exercises? Daily or 3 times a week etc?
That is a question you will have to ask the author of the program you decide on. Some program have set schedules (one size fits all); others change as you progress with the program; others are customized by the author depending on a person's needs or age, and then some programs don't have schedules at all and can be done daily. The author of the program you choose ought to be able to answer any questions you may have about doing the program and what to expect from it.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Here's where Nonie and I disagree somewhat. Of course when you start a program you should follow the guidelines of the author. And most people feel comfortable with following suggestions for reps and sets and days of the week. But I think that as a person gets into a program, decisions become a personal choice. There comes a time for breaking away from the dictates of the originator of the program. Of course some people will tend to do too much or not enough, but eventually a workable regimen will evolve.

But where I totally agree with Nonie is that the whole program (if it's a good one) should be followed. All the muscles of the face should be worked. This will give a balanced tone to the muscles of the face and front of the neck. Nonie and I don't think that working just a few areas of the face will get the job done. And "the job" is to have a symmetrically toned-up face that stays young and expressive.