Lines and puffiness between eyebrows

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Lines and puffiness between eyebrows

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Nonie's observation: "the reason you find it hard to "isolate" muscles is because they are in such good shape and already in semi contraction..."

Tom's observation: My frontalis and occipitalis muscles are in good shape because I exercise them almost every day with the scalp exercise. But I find that these muscles of the upper face are not in semi-contraction when they are relaxed. Probably when I first started to do the scalp exercise my cranial muscles were in a state of semi-contraction after a workout. After about six months of dedicated scalp exercise, though, these muscles were totally tension-free.

My case might be an anomaly but I don't think so. I get many emails from people who tell me that the scalp exercise has totally released the tension in the scalp. People who do the scalp exercise correctly do not have those telltale signs of tension - those etched vertical and horizontal lines in the forehead.

Mr. Scalp Pain.jpg
Mr. Scalp Pain.jpg (4.05 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
Nonie

Post by Nonie »

To me, tension and tone are two different things. To me, a muscle that is toned is in constant semi-contraction. The word tonus implies the constant contraction of healthy muscles [Reference]. So any time you have a fully toned muscle, it holds its shape because it is in semi-contraction even when relaxed. That is not the same thing as being tense. I believe the reason my face appeared to shorten between 2009--when I thought I had hit the peak of facial tone--and 2016 when I thought I was simply maintaining the 2009 results (Pic), is because all my muscles have continued to achieve that semi-contraction state and because they are somewhat balanced in tone, there is no one area exerting more force than another and causing a creasing of the skin in that area.

So the point I was making is, a muscle in semi-contraction (aka a muscle that is toned) responds to stimuli quicker than one that is not. In other words, the better the tone of the muscles of your face, the more responsive they are. So that it becomes harder to contract an area without that slight movement causing a movement elsewhere.

Lauvene seems to understand this phenomenon because she wrote:
lauvene wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm
@Nonie Hii! :) We talked a bit a while ago and your input taught me a lot. While I support your theory about exercising other muscles being helpful, I know from experience that it may be really hard to isolate these muscles and not exercise glabella and corrugators along, as they are just so strong that they take over. I learned to control mine while having face at rest so I don't frown in front of monitor etc, but I still felt them activating when I exercised, even while doing lower face evercises. It's so much easier to do if you weaken the problematic muscles first, but there's not many ways to do that, botox being the most popular one.
In other words, she realizes it is easier to isolate weak muscles, and my theory is, that is because they are not as responsive as toned ones to the pull of other related muscles. The interconnectedness of facial muscles makes isolation of specific muscles harder the stronger and better toned the connected muscles become.

I have heard it said that face exercisers are very expressive. I see that in Carolyn and I've seen photos of myself taken when I'm oblivious to it and I seem to be making faces to the people I am speaking to as I talk. :P Not very flattering expressions, I must say :lol:, but I cannot help it, and don't even realize how animated my face is when I'm speaking.
lauvene

Post by lauvene »

I think I just picked up the theory about balance between all facial muscles from Nonie when we talked about it a while ago. Nonie's explanation about stronger muscles pulling the weaker ones and taking over made perfect sense. Although I don't have a doubt that Tom is an expert and his strong muscles don't cause wrinkles. I think you're both just saying the same thing, just from different perspective and naming things differently.
I still can't do the scalp exercise for the life of me :( I use Safetox to temporarily numb the forehead muscles so it's easier to activate the occipitalis but I just contract neck muscles. Not giving up but wow, it's hard.