Scalp Exercise and Headache Question

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
maryancilla

Scalp Exercise and Headache Question

Post by maryancilla »

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a decrease in any headache pain they may have been experiencing previous to learning the scalp exercise? I have had migraines and headaches since I was 18 (am 43 now) and long ago, a doctor had suggested botox injections in my neck called an occipital nerve block which is supposed to reduce pain, and other symptoms caused by inflammation or irritation of the nerves and surrounding structures. I didn't want to do this when it was first suggested, though another doctor recently suggested it and I was feeling more open to it now, though I know it doesn't get at the root of my head pain issues. This is just my second day attempting the scalp exercise, but it occurred to me that perhaps by being able to control this muscle, I might be able to relax it more and decrease some of my headache pain. Thoughts?

I know this is just my second day with the scalp exercise, but I find myself flaring my nostrils in an attempt to do it! Is it important for me to try not to flare the nostrils or does it matter?

Thank you!!

Mary

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Scalp Exercise and Headache Question

Post by Tom Hagerty »

In many women, migraines decline with age. At 43 years of age perhaps you could just wait it out and hope for the best. But from the emails you wrote to me I suspect that you are a person who is action oriented: you like to take active steps to solve a problem.

Perhaps learning how to do the scalp exercise, and then doing it for a while may ease the pain and other symptoms of this form of throbbing headache. Even though much research has described migraines as an excessive dilation of the blood vessels in the brain, there is other research that describes these headaches as being brought on by various forms of inflammation. The scalp exercise will not target these triggers but it may do something else that will alleviate the pain or even eliminate it.

I have received many emails from people, mostly women, who have told me that gaining control of the occipitalis muscles at the back of the head have relieved the symptoms associated with migraine headaches. Their speculation (and mine too) is that once the occipitalis muscles are toned up and strong they become more relaxed. They lose their tightness. Relaxed occipitalis and frontalis muscles have a calming effect on the scalp and perhaps on what's under the scalp. The exercise might also relax the tension in the blood vessels throughout the scalp and head.

All this sounds a little new age and "alternative" combined with wishful thinking. But so many people have told me about the lessening of their migraine pain that I tend to (or want to) believe them. Maybe all this information will give you the motivation to gain control of the occipitalis muscle and eventually to do the scalp exercise right.

There is no attachment of those small muscles that flare the nostrils to the scalp muscles. But I notice too that there is some flaring of my nostrils when I do the SE. I wouldn't be concerned about that flaring - it's an expressive facial movement.

maryancilla

Post by maryancilla »

Thanks Tom! I believe it's definitely worth it to give it a good whirl and see if it helps and have been practicing the exercise. I feel these two muscles in the back of the neck move when I try to move my ears back. Is this correct? I slightly feel some muscles above the ears move as well, but it isn't as obvious as those two in the back of the neck. When I place my hands on the area I believe the occipitalus to be from looking at pics on the internet, I feel those flexing as well, I think! I'll keep at it. It's hard to tell what I'm moving really, with muscles stacked upon more muscles, but I am definitely moving something.
I have been perusing the forum topics and learning some good information. Many of the posts are very old. Do you still take the pycnogenol supplements?
It's interesting that you found Mark's Daily Apple and the "paleo" way of eating so long ago (2010 I think I read? or 2007) I discovered it some time ago as well, but never really committed to it until my recent health diagnosis in Feb. I have seen a few docs and they all want me to eat in a similar manner, so I do nowadays. A modified paleo version that is. I eat rice and some other things that a hardcore paleo enthusiast wouldn't eat. I have an interest in veganism, but with my health issues, there are too many restrictions I couldn't eat in a vegan diet--I would be really malnourished. I kind of like the "Pegan" diet (stupid name!)--which takes attributes of both a Paleo diet and a vegan diet. Basically adding more veggies to the Paleo diet, since Paleo kind of becomes a little too meat centered. I still love pizza though ha! I occasionally have a gluten free pizza...with real cheese. I can't get into that vegan cheese at all. Some of it's ok, like the cream cheez versions, but the mozzarella versions weird me out. I don't drink milk or eat any other dairy....but cheese...man I love cheese. I have it maybe once a month or every two months. My current doc says cheese made from A2 cows is fine for me, though I know many feel that no dairy at all is the healthiest. I'm not extreme in beliefs--Moderation is key for me!

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Maryancilla, have you ever had drunken goat cheese? I am not nuts about cheese like you or most people are. I can do without it in my life and not even miss it, but I could kill for drunken goat cheese. (OK maybe that is going a bit too far :lol: )...But if you haven't tried it, you should. Wegmans supermarket sells the one I get but you can also order it from Amazon. While I have not had it on pizza--could live without pizza too as I aim for a gluten-free, yeast-free, dairy-free diet--I usually serve myself a couple of thin slices, which I enjoy with a side serving of frozen blueberries soaked in a red wine. :)

maryancilla

Post by maryancilla »

Drunken goat cheese--wow I love the name! Ha! I have never heard of it, but will have to try it sometime. Good for you on aiming for gf, yeast free and dairy free! I also do miss bread...but not as much as I did in the beginning of my GF journey. I have read/heard that properly made sourdough bread which uses only three ingredients is tolerated on occasion by gluten intolerant people due to the way it is made, but I'm not certain on that. I'm doing fine without bread, without refined sugar or yeast, soy, dairy for the most part etc. Life isn't so bad. I had big sugar cravings for awhile there but they seem to have resided for the most part. I was never addicted to sugary treats like candies or cakes and such....I have always preferred savory foods...but I was addicted to foods that process into sugars like delicious fluffy bread :D So taking that away may have created those sugar cravings. I have candida over growth as well, and of course that stuff loves yeast and sugar!
My doc did say that goat cheese is fine for me due to the different proteins in goat as opposed to cow, so I will try the drunken stuff! Many of the articles I read promote complete dairy free which seems like it could be helpful, but the occasional treat seems ok for me. I have immune dysfunction, inflammation and leaky gut in regards to the food restrictions as opposed to a true food allergy, so it is a little bit different in terms of avoidance. I have a horrible true food allergy to spirulina--that is my kryptonite!

Thanks for the recommendation :D

Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Maryancilla, you are like my sister from another mister!

I will post my reply in the nutrition forum. Sorry Tom for hijacking the thread with talk about food. 8-)

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Maryancilla and Nonie you are like sisters in the sense that you think about things in the same way and express your thoughts in a colorful way. Or maybe you both are eating too much Drunken Goat Cheese. I'll have to try some of that.

I eat some bread but not too much since I got a 5 qt. programmable slow cooker. This morning, for example, I put a beef loin prime filet mignon steak (whatever that is) in the stoneware liner, along with a 15 bean mixture and green split peas. I added a lot of pure water to this, and set the timer for eight hours. Later on I'll put in some vegetables. Tonight when it's all cooked I'll invite my three Scrabble cronies, including a brilliant Russian woman, to help themselves. You don't need bread with this concoction.

I'm glad to report that the only problem I have is hardly ever winning a game of Scrabble - I've won two out of the last thirty games. But I have a friend who lives on a small island off Spain who is having problems similar to yours, but much more intense. I hope the doctors there know what they are doing. I don't want them to hurt this beautiful woman who I think about often.
Attachments
That little island off the coast of Spain
That little island off the coast of Spain
La Palma.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 6153 times

maryancilla

Post by maryancilla »

Those crock pot meals are such a godsend aren't they? I love coming home after work to an already finished meal that has been cooking for hours.....drool... and you're right, they don't need bread! I've been gf for 8 months now with the exception of when I went to Chicago in June and had some amazing bread at a fancy restaurant....but my cravings for it have all but disappeared. However, I'm going to be spending a week in New Orleans and I plan to eat some local food, which I'm sure may contain gluten in it. I think it will be worth it :)

Not a crock pot meal, but I came upon this paleo chicken pot pie soup recipe recently that came out amaaazzzzziiing. The author offers a version with paleo crust as a casserole, but I just made the soup one, sans crust or bread.

https://myheartbeets.com/chicken-pot-pie-soup-paleo/

Your scrabbling sounds like so much fun. My mom is fantastic at scrabble....me, not so much but I still enjoy it, though haven't played it in quite awhile. I also love Boggle!

Still working on that scalp exercise...so far I don't have much, if any, progress but I'll keep on keeping on!