CFF and SYF question

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
maryancilla

CFF and SYF question

Post by maryancilla »

Hello!

I am a new member here and waiting for Tom's dvd to come in the mail-I'm excited to start!

I am wondering if any other members do Carolyn's Facial Fitness in addition to Shape Your Face and if so, how you manage the two schedule wise?

I have been doing CFF consistently for two years-ish and inconsistently for even longer....and just don't seem to be getting results. I have talked with Carolyn several times over the years--she's an absolute gem and very helpful, yet perhaps I need some different exercises (hence coming over to try Shape Your Face). I still plan on doing CFF for several more months as Carolyn gave me a few more tips recently, but to be honest I am not as confident in the program for me personally as I once was. I do realize, of course, that different things work for different people. I'm not ready to give up entirely on her program just yet as I know facial exercises are not a quick fix at all, yet I do think I should see better results in two years than I have. I honestly can't say I see any results at all.

I'm in my early 40s and people always mistake me for being younger, though of course over time they mistake me as less and less young as I was once mistaken for! Things aren't terrible at this point with my face BUT there are definite issues that need to be addressed! Especially before they get worse. Marionette lines, hooded eyelids starting to form, nasolabial lines, jowels starting to get worse and my neck is looking less than youthful at certain angles! What the heck?!

Another question I have is if anyone here does facial gua sha and if so, how often? I had not ever heard of it until recently, but it looks like something that people that do facial exercises have known about for quite some time, so I'm curious if anyone has had success and how often they perform it.

Thank you in advance!!

Mary
Nonie

Re: CFF and SYF question

Post by Nonie »

Since you've been doing CFF, I'm sure you already know about me and my journey as posted on forums and on the CFF site, so I won't bore you with my experience with the program and how much I love it. CFF is my main program, but I also do SYF. How I juggle the two is SYF is my backup program and I do it on days when I don't have 15 minutes to devote to CFF. I discovered SYF before CFF and liked the program so these two are my only staples.

I don't know when you started doing face exercises but if you started two years ago, that is after 38 years of your face aging naturally. To expect to undo all those years in just a couple of years, IMO is asking too much. I have been doing face exercises since the start of my 20's and as you will see from photos of my posts in this forum, even at that tender age, change didn't happen overnight. Heck, my hooded eyelids were still partly hooded 5 years in. In fact, I didn't even know anything was happening to my eyes (I wasn't trying to change my eyes; just to hold onto my youth)...until I read about eyelid lifts being a result of face exercises and then I noticed that indeed that change had happened to mine, but I was 35 years by the time I noticed that change. I have been doing CFF since Jan 2007 and while I noticed a huge improvement after two years (Namely, the complete undoing of damage by another program), you have to remember I already had years and years of training my face under my belt so muscle memory worked in my favor to get me results quicker than say someone who just started. And it took another 7 years for me to notice further improvement--photos of which are posted in this forum.

So my advice is don't fix what isn't broken. If CFF is not hurting you, then don't stop doing it just because you are not seeing results quick enough. Easy come, easy go, I say! If you read the reviews on the CFF site, "youth jumps" are a phenomenon many share...whereby they think they have hit a plateau but little do they know, the magic is still happening under the surface and before they know it, they look in the mirror and a younger face than they remember having the day before greets them. It is what happened to me last year when I took that photo comparing my face in Jan 2009 when I thought I had hit Nirvana with my face in June 2016.

In short, a watched pot never boils. If I had been seeking signs of progress, I would have long given up--especially after the damage of 2005. Instead, I just commit to a program and as long as it is not making things worse, I trust that in time I will reap the fruits of my efforts. Not only does this make the journey a stress-free one, but when the results sneak up on you, the feeling is out of this world.

I have read about facial gua sha, but have n experience with it. After my awful experience in 2005, when I made the fateful mistake of thinking that I was missing out if I wasn't doing a program others were raving about, I learned my lesson well and good and so while I am fascinated by all natural remedies, I don't find myself tempted to try them. My advice is before you dive into something new, make sure you have enough visual proof of its success...and not just from the author/seller of the product, but others who have experience with it. Talk is cheap. I always laugh when people sing a nice tune but refuse to show even partial photos of their success, even in a private email. Because beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, I think it's important that YOU see what is being claimed as success, so you can decide for yourself if it is the sort of "success" you want for yourself.

Sorry for the ramble, but I hope something in it was helpful.
maryancilla

Post by maryancilla »

Thanks Nonie! Yes, this is quite helpful, encouraging, and I appreciate it very much. I was thinking two years should be a long enough time to see results..two years seems like a long time to me-ha! Especially because people seem to see results in much shorter periods of time, BUT it sounds from your answer that it can indeed take a MUCH longer time and of course everyone's results are individual. As I wrote previously, I'm not ready to abandon her program, but will be adding Tom's exercises in as well. You have convinced me to stick in there for longer. Sometimes just a pep talk is in order. I actually discovered Tom because of you and the EDS forum--so thank you!
Take care and thanks for such a thorough answer. :D
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hello Mary and Nonie and Tom,
I have just been reading your posts here, aren’t we all facial fitness fanatics?! :)

It’s all good, we just want our best selves to show, and to feel on the outside the way we feel on the inside. Nonie, I appreciate your comments about the length of time it takes to see results. That is one thing that the websites, including Carolyn’s, do not go to any length to explain. I think this is because it truly does take years to see results, and if they were to tell you that up front you might lose hope and give up. But the truth is, NOT realizing this fact is probably what makes most people give up.

As for me, I have been doing facial exercises daily for a little over a year. I am not convinced that I see a difference yet, other than that the area under my eyes, which used to be paper thin, is now strong and supple. My husband has told me twice in two different months that he thinks the exercises are working, and he does not give compliments unless he means it. I, like you Mary, thought I would see results sooner, but I am not in the least dissuaded, I remain a believer. Besides, facial exercises are now just a part of my daily routine and not a chore. (I do Peta’s Renew Me Face-aerobics and Tom’s as a back up.)Not to mention that folks like Tom and Nonie give us that boost when we need it.

Nonie, where would I find your recent pics on this site? I am amazed at how great you look for your age and the changes you achieved in the pics I did see. So on we go!
Nonie

Post by Nonie »

Gina, do you have photos you took before you started face exercises and have you taken any recently? Sometimes comparing recent photos with photos of yourself from a few years can shed some light on the changes that have taken place.

As I've shared before, I didn't know anything was happening when I first started face exercises.You may recall from my posts that my reason for starting face exercises was not to fix anything but to slow down aging and keep my 20-something face looking the same for as long as possible. I only realized a change had actually taken place--namely, the eyelid lift--when 15 years later I read that hooded eyes can be changed by face exercises. By then the eyelid change was complete so the difference was remarkable. But I never noticed it happening at all. In fact, had I not found a photo taken about 5-6 years after I started, I might have thought I had experience that delightful thing they call a "youth jump" whereby after years of no change, the lift just happened overnight as if it was all happening below the surface. No one ever commented about my eyes changing over the years, and I believe that is because the change happened so gradually. Even my family didn't know or notice there was anything different about my eyes until I pointed it out in recent years. For a refresher, here's the gradual progress I am talking about:

And whenever I have posted an updated photo, it is usually because I have seen something new on me that I don't remember being there before. Like that change from what I considered my best to what seemed to be an improvement on it--something I would not have believed possible, nor was I even seeking it. I was just trying to hold onto my best when the magic happened.

So don't neglect to take photos. Even if you don't think anything has happened, document, document, document. When the change does become obvious and very noticeable, you might suddenly realize from your photo journal that the "journey" to success was always there hiding in plain sight. Or...you may get the "youth jump" that many talk about and go from 0 to 100 overnight--and wouldn't it be fun to be able to have a record of how far you've come?

As for your question about recent photos, I have not posted any newer photos on this site than the ones you already know about. :) There's nothing new to report or share.

My best,

Nonie