Does the eye exercise work for sunken eyes?

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
kat7788

Does the eye exercise work for sunken eyes?

Post by kat7788 »

I had a question regarding the eye exercise. I am 20 years old with really sunken eyes and the skin around the eyes is quite dark as well. This seems to be getting worse with time, and I think my long hours on the computer may have something to do with it. I was wondering if the eye exercises would help my situation or make it worse, because I don't have bags under my eyes or anything, just the hollowness. Thanks.

Your website is really helpful and user-friendly by the way. :D
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Does the eye exercise work for sunken eyes?

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I don't have bags under my eyes or anything, just the hollowness.
Sometimes as people get older, a hollowness develops in the area between the side of the nose and the rim of the orbital bone -- the path of those dots. You're only 20 years old, but sometimes even women that young, if they are thin and do long hours of work on a computer, develop this deep hollowness under the eyes - it's called the tear trough. The tear trough is usually the result of loose muscles around the eyes. The orbicularis oculi muscles become lax. This problem can be corrected by the exercise I'm going to describe.
The tear trough
The tear trough
Eyes.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 59961 times
After applying some lubrication to the skin around the eyes, place the fingertips of the hands under both eyes just about where those dots in the photo are. Even though the pressure you will apply is gentle, it will give sufficient resistance to all the muscles above the orbital bone. Now while this resistance is being applied by your fingers, close your eyes tightly. You'll feel all the muscles around the eyes (the orbicularis oculi muscles) working strongly.

Hold the contraction for one or two seconds and do several sets of 25 repetitions. You can do this exercise almost every day. And try the exercise when you're lying in bed in the morning before you get up. It's a refreshing way to start the day. In a few months you'll see an improvement in the way the skin and muscles around the eyes look.

But there could be another problem. Since the skin around the eyes is the thinnest skin of the body, it is subject to the in-and-out flows of water - like tears. Sometimes the accumulation of water with salt in it causes some puffiness especially in the morning. The exercise that I just described can also help this condition because it increases the volume in the area around the eye. Well-developed muscles around the eyes eliminate puffiness. An increase of muscle volume will also clean up the hollow tear trough and get rid of the consequent dark circles.

If the skin around your eyes is exceptionally thin, the tiny blood vessels, the capillaries, will show through. This creates a darker look under the eyes. Also, mostly in people of asian or African descent, there are pigmentary problems. The exercise for the muscles around the eyes cannot fix these.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Tom,

I also have the same problem mentioned in this post with slightly sunken eyes and a hollowness which is worse under my right eye. My question is, what happens when doing these exercises and then say you stop doing them, will the eyes start to look worse than they did at the start? I have this vision that they might somehow droop dramatically! Will this exercise actually firm up the entire under eye? Also, should I be getting a slight brow ache when I do 3 sets of 25 reps due to squeezing my eyes shut?

Thanks

Sarah
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

a hollowness which is worse under my right eye.
The exercise for the muscles around the eyes that I demonstrate will often correct any asymmetry in the lower eyelids. This correction will not be fast but it should be visible in six months or more. Even though I said in the above message to place the fingers where the dotted line is, I now think it's more productive to place the fingers near the edge of the eyes as I demonstrate in this video. Scroll to the video in Spanish. The demonstration comes half way into the five-minute video. (Sorry about the Spanish version - I think my demonstration is good though.) I wish I put the demonstration in the English version.
what happens when doing these exercises and then say you stop doing them?
What happens to your body when you stop exercising? I don't have to tell you. But your eyes will not look worse than before when you stop - but why stop. I don't think of facial exercise as a tiresome chore. In fact it's kind of creative. If you stay with the program you'll be happy with the results. Don't let my wink discourage you.

Also, should I be getting a slight brow ache when I do 3 sets of 25 reps due to squeezing my eyes shut?
There's a slight chance that you'll feel a small ache in the muscles around the eyes and even in the brow when you first start to do this exercise. Don't worry about it though. It'll disappear soon. Now if you do the scalp exercise correctly you will feel an ache in the muscles at the back of the head. This exercise is good for the area around the eyes too. If you feel brave give it a try.
Attachments
The wink
The wink
IMG_0064a.JPG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 57926 times
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Tom thanks for the advice,

I have been keeping the exercises up so hopefully will see improvements in time. When I was doing them I tried doing a variation, where you slowly squint until your lower eyelid lifts up enough so that your eye is almost shut, for a count of 3 seconds, while placing the fingertips in the corners of each eye like you demonstrate in the video. I just wondered whether you have tried this version - do you think it would be effective? I just want to make sure that I am truly exercising my lower eyelid because sometimes my upper eye lids seem to be doing most of the work!
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

I just want to make sure that I am truly exercising my lower eyelid...
I think the variation of the exercise you describe will tone up and strengthen the lower eyelid. I don't hold the contraction for three seconds - maybe I'm too impatient. But I think the "hold" is important for developing the muscle.

Take a look at Michelle Pfeiffer. Her well-developed lower eyelids give her an expressive look. Some people are born with good facial muscles; others have to work on them to develop and maintain them. And above Michelle is Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife). She has no worries about her face. Actors, especially stage actors, get a good facial workout when they project their voices for a two-hour performance. And screen actors sometimes have to do twenty takes of the same shot - a great facial workout.
Attachments
Nothing wrong with Julianna either.
Nothing wrong with Julianna either.
Julianna.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 57778 times
Nice eyes
Nice eyes
Michelle Pfeiffer.png (92.47 KiB) Viewed 57779 times
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I have lost volume in fat underneath and around my eye area as it does look a bit sunken. It's really happened in the last year I think I did too much running - I have more or less stopped now as I don't want to cause any more sagging. When I touch around the underneath of my eye, I can feel the bone of my eye socket and the lack of volume under my eye, which means that I have lost fat around the area...I can also see when I turn sideways that there is a slight droop in the area between my lower eyelid and my cheek bone, which make my bags look more obvious :(

Though these exercises build up the muscle under and around the eye area, my concern is that they cannot do anything to restore the fat volume around my eye area? Is muscle volume completely different to fat volume? And do you think I will need to have some sort of eye surgery to restore fat volume if the exercises don't help? This would be a last resort..as I am only 24 years old but this issue has been on my mind a lot this past year.

Thanks,

Sarah
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty »

Is muscle volume completely different to fat volume?
Muscle volume can be increased with correct exercise; fat volume can't. But you are only 24 years old. Putting on a some healthy weight and doing less exercise might be all you need to get rid of that gaunt look around the eyes. I've seen bodybuilders who are getting ready for a contest acquiring that same look you described around your eyes. When they stop overtraining and put on a higher percentage of body fat, the sunken look around the orbital bone disappears quickly.

Older women who have your problem might try a hyaluronic acid-based dermal filler like Juvederm. You being fantastically young don't need Juvederm or Restylane. A little less intensity in workouts and less time in front of your computer might do the trick. A good night's sleep might also help.