Neck strain, exercise 4

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Horsegirl

Neck strain, exercise 4

Post by Horsegirl »

I do exercise 4 for the muscles at the front of the neck almost every day and a lot of reps. Maybe I am overdoing the exercise because sometimes I feel a small pain in the front of my neck after an especially long session. I try to get full extension and contraction of the neck muscles by moving my head way back and then way down. Am I supposed to do it this way or can I do it without getting so much neck and head movement? I do the exercise a lot because I am seeing improvement in my jaw line.
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Neck strain, exercise 4

Post by Tom Hagerty »

sometimes I feel a small pain in the front of my neck after an especially long session.
Take a look at the anatomical drawing of the neck muscles. Along with the larger muscles like the platysma and the sternocleidomastoid, there are many smaller ones. It's a complex arrangement of muscles, tendons, ligaments, and nerves. Too much vigorous exercise before this area is toned up can cause real pain. It can take months to tone up and strengthen this area that often goes soft as a person gets older. It's worth the effort to do these exercises for the front of the neck though. They keep the front of the neck from sagging and they keep the jawline firm and well-defined.

You don't have to get an complete extension and contractions of the neck muscles. In other words, you don't have to tilt your head back all the way or bring your head down to your chest when doing this exercise. The important part of the exercise is keeping your tongue firmly pressed against the roof of your mouth. This works the muscles to the max.
Attachments
Muscles of the neck
Muscles of the neck
Neck muscles.jpg (8.08 KiB) Viewed 8188 times