Cheek exercise

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
needanswers

Cheek exercise

Post by needanswers »

Hi Tom
I am re attempting the cheek exercise but I don’t think I am doing it correctly.
I can’t work out if I open my mouth to an oh sound and then close to an ah or indeed an EE or ew. Whatever I do I find my TMJ aches very quickly. I find the sound analogy makes it easier for me to know how to make the right shapes
Should I be smiling at all or just pulling the mouth closed in a straight sideways movement?
I have studied the video many times on the slowest speed possible but am not convinced I am doing it correctly.

Many thanks :)

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Cheek exercise

Post by Tom Hagerty »

The cheek exercise is straightforward. There are no tricks to getting it right. But it takes some time in front of the mirror doing it before it all falls into place - before you get into a groove. There is no need to rush things. The temporo-mandibular-joint is strong. It won't give out on you. Trying to smile while you're doing the exercise keeps the lower facial muscles contracted while you're doing 15 to 25 reps. This tightens up these many large and small muscles. I don't make any sounds when I'm doing the exercise but they certainly can't cause any harm.

You said that your TMJ starts to hurt when you do the exercise. Mine did too. A doctor pulled some dried ear wax out of my ear canal and I have not had that problem since.

This is a great exercise for the whole lower face. It will keep all the muscles toned-up and it will enable you to show more facial expression.

needanswers

Re: Cheek exercise

Post by needanswers »

Thanks Tom
So basically I smile and then open and close my mouth keeping tension round it?
Good to know that the tmj will toughen up a bit. I have always had problems with it.