How many, how often?

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
epona

How many, how often?

Post by epona » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:06 pm

Happy New Year Tom and everyone here!

I have a few questions I’d like to put to you please.

Firstly, without being pedantic, I’d like to know more precisely how many repetitions of each exercise is recommended, and how often please? What’s optimum without being in danger of overbuild (are any of the exercises more prone to this than others?).

I bought the DVD a little while back and have dabbled in other programmes (Peta’s mostly), but I’ve come back to SYF ready to be more dedicated and diligent about doing it.

My second question is, the first time round I did these exercises I began to have an issue with the eye exercise. It worked brilliantly at lifting my eyelids and giving me an open eye look. I loved it, but through a long process of elimination I discovered it was due to this that I developed festoons under my eyes. Now at this stage I arranged my finger tips along the orbital bone. Perhaps this was my mistake? Should my fingers be kept to the outer edge/corner of the eye? When I finally (and very reluctantly) stopped this exercise the festoons flattened and are mostly non visible now. A few months ago I found another eye exercise (from Happy Face Yoga) requiring a similar finger tip placing and it begun to do the same thing. Some how I need to avoid this, while still reaping the benefits! Any advice/experience on this?

Lastly, I’d really welcome your advice on massage. I’m interested in this http://www.facialdetox.com but am cautious about stretching the skin when rubbing (especially as the advice is to do this dry), and particularly his eye lid/area rubbing!! Seems counter intuitive for such delicate skin? Although the eye looks good immediately after doing it, would this in your opinion long-term be a bad idea?

Hope this isn’t a too demanding list of queries and appreciate all help and advice!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: How many, how often?

Post by Tom Hagerty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Happy New Year to you too, Epona.

I often make suggestions about repetitions and sets on my website. People when they start a program want some guidance. But after you work with a program for a period of time you establish your own schedule of reps and sets. You know what feels good, but don't do too much of a good thing. I spend about fifteen minutes three times a week with my program. I do the scalp exercise every day though.

Peta has an effective program for facial exercises. She also has a likable style of presenting her material. There is nothing harsh or dogmatic about her.

A good person
A good person
Peta.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 259 times

The man who presents his Facial Detox material has a style that annoys me. But I don't want to criticize material that I have not tried. My unscientific impression, though, is that rubbing my dry skin is not the perfect preparation for a screen test at Warner Bros.

Your question about festoons is a challenging one. I wish I could see a photo of your face so I would know exactly what you don't like. Is it a build-up of soft tissue under the eyes or is it edema in the area? Sometimes just the toning-up of the orbicularis oculi muscles gets rid of those dark circles and unwanted bulges in younger people. But in older people the solution is not that simple. I'm glad that yours have flattened out.

To use your fingers or not to use them. I don't use them anymore but I can't give you any solid reason not to use them while doing the exercises for the muscles around the eyes. Are you able to do the scalp exercise correctly? This exercise has kept my upper face wrinkle-free - and festoon-free too.

epona

Post by epona » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:35 pm

Many thanks for your reply Tom. I agree, the Bamboo Master has a somewhat military style of teaching his massage. Thank you for your views which confirm my concerns - I think I'll give this a miss! Do you use massage in keeping yourself so young and handsome? Or are your exercises enough?

I think Peta, like yourself, is very genuine, and that always boosts confidence. I just find many of her exercises too complicated at times - some of them are just too difficult or uncomfortable to emulate. As you point out, it's better to have something straightforward you know you can keep up.

Happily, (thanks to the pillow technique) I can do the scalp exercise, and it's great to hear you say this helps the eye area as well as the forehead and general scalp health. I don't have anything like the movement you demonstrate in the video, and find without a pillow that after 60 or so repetitions I don't have so much control (or it feels like I'm no longer moving it). I also can't yet do the combination of raising the forehead and then contracting the scalp, but understand this may take time. As for the festoons, they (although really it's more prominent on one side) are more like well-trained, skin-coloured slugs perched on the upper cheek bone. I found a photo of someone (not myself as I can't get a good photo to demonstrate!) with something very, very similar, which I'll try and post. I had sort of come to the conclusion perhaps my finger placement directly under the orbital bone was causing a traffic jam of fluid under my eye and causing this? I'm 37 so I was a bit horrified when this first appeared a few years ago. I have some dark circles too, though after reading a post about tear troughs here, I think this is more the issue, in which case you give me hope this may be rectified with the eye exercise?

Thanks again Tom!
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 236 times

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am

You wrote, " I also can't yet do the combination of raising the forehead and then contracting the scalp..." I don't know what you mean. The scalp never contracts. You contract the frontalis muscles, then you contract the occipitalis muscles. When you do this alternating contraction of the scalp muscles, the scalp moves about a half inch. This movement of the scalp keeps the hair follicles healthy (I think), but it also passively works the small muscles around the eyes. I do the scalp exercise almost every day. I have no hooded eyelids or lines and swelling under the eyes. I attribute this lack of age-related mischief to doing the scalp exercise right. I want you to look at Riley Eusden doing the exercise. He is doing it perfectly. - https://www.hairloss-reversible.com/the ... ise-video/

You are thirty-seven years old. That's the perfect age for everything. Master the scalp exercise and see what happens. In a few months you might be ready for your screen test at Warner Bros. too.

I don't do massage even though massage correctly done is relaxing and beneficial. I have The Complete Book of Massage by Clare Maxwell-Hudson.
The photos in this book will make you want to call your favorite masseuse right away.

Festoons and dark circles under the eyes can be almost eliminated with the proper facial exercises. Other problems like deep nasolabial lines are not so tractable. You can be optimistic about your next years.