How to do the scalp exercise correctly

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
S711

How to do the scalp exercise correctly

Post by S711 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:58 am

The scalp: I can contract a little bit the occipitals. I feel the contractions with my hands

If I understood it correctly, I should, in order to do the scalp exercise correctly:
a) raise the eyebrows. this moves the scalp forward
b) relax the eyebrows-
c) contract the occipitals and move the scalp backwards

The sequence is very difficult for me to do- is this is the correct sequence

If my eyebrows are raised I can’t contract the occipitals.
If my eyebrows are relaxed I can move my ears and feel the contraction on the occipitals but I don’t see my scalp moving

So am getting it wrong

To be complete, my right eye is dominant. I raise the right eyebrow unconsciously all the time ( I am working on this ) and I cannot raise my left eyebrow. I am not able to make the “small” contraction you make on the video. To make a small contraction like you do I mainly activate my right eyebrow, especially the muscle that makes you form the frown line

I practice face exercise and there is one exercise I do to relax the forehead. I put my hands interlaced on TOP of my head (more towards the front than centered) and move the scalp with the aid of the hands sideways (left/right) and front/backwards.

If I move the scalp with the hands forward, if I contract the occipitalis the scalp moves back to the original position. But I am not able to make an alternate contraction. My ears wiggle but it seems that my occipitalis goes on strike if I involve a contraction of the forehead.

I am an Italian woman so please excuse my grammar.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: How to do the scalp exercise correctly

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:01 am

The two major scalp muscles, the frontalis and the occipitalis, are antagonistic muscles. When one contracts the other one relaxes automatically. So there is no need to consciously relax the eyebrows. My suggestion is to contract the frontalis muscles at the front of the head quickly (a flash contraction); then do a more sustained contraction of the occipitalis muscles at the back of the head. The reason for this suggestion is that you want to tone up and strengthen that powerful muscle at the back of your head. This is the muscle that when toned up keeps horizontal and vertical lines from forming on the skin of the forehead. It does this in two ways: 1. A strong occipitalis exerts a slight pressure that pulls up and back on the skin of the forehead, smoothing out any lines. And 2, an active occipitalis keeps the frontalis muscle mobile. It's an immobile, stagnant frontalis that contributes to a lined forehead. A strong, active occipitalis also powers greater scalp movement when it is alternately contracted with the frontalis muscle.

Occipitalis Muscle.gif
Anatomical chart
Occipitalis Muscle.gif (10.42 KiB) Viewed 268 times

"If my eyebrows are relaxed I can move my ears and feel the contraction on the occipitals but I don’t see my scalp moving..."

If you keep practicing the contraction of the occipitalis - that is moving the ears - you will eventually see your scalp moving. It takes time to gain control of the scalp, to get it moving. Be a little patient. This exercise will benefit your hair and your whole upper face.

"I cannot raise my left eyebrow."

Stand in front of a mirror and work on this. Eventually you'll be able to get a synchronized movement of your eyebrows. I don't think that this will be a big problem. Gaining full control of the occipitalis muscles at the back of your head will be a big problem though. They are always threatening to go out "on strike."

"I put my hands interlaced on TOP of my head (more towards the front than centered) and move the scalp with the aid of the hands sideways (left/right) and front/backwards."

When you eventually gain control of the occipitalis and are able to do the scalp exercise correctly, you will not need the hand movement. There is nothing wrong with that hand movement though.