My hair is turning gray

Comments on which cosmetics are helpful and which ones are not.
Kate

My hair is turning gray

Post by Kate » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:51 am

I have streaks of gray and white in my hair. Maybe I had too much sun when I was young or maybe I am eating the wrong foods. Is there anything a relatively young person can do to naturally reverse the graying process? What about cosmetics and all the highly advertised hair coloring agents? Are they useful, are they harmful to the hair in the long run. I would like my hair to return to its original color. I don't feel like a gray haired person.

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: My hair is turning gray

Post by Tom Hagerty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Is there anything a relatively young person can do to naturally reverse the graying process?
Melanin, a natural pigment, gives color to each strand of hair. But as a person gets older the cells that produce melanin gradually slow down and the hair turns gray then while. The rate at which one turns gray is mostly determined genetically. Other factors may also be involved though. Here is a list of the factors:
  • Cigarette smoking - There is a strong link between nicotine use and premature graying.

Vitamin deficiency - The B complex, especially B12, is important for the state of the hair. I use brewer's yeast powder mixed in juice for the B complex and I eat liver occasionally for the B 12.

Trace minerals - Copper and zinc are also important in keeping the hair its natural color. I eat walnuts and other nuts too for the copper and seafood for the zinc.

Stress - Prolonged psychological stress may cause a whitening of the hair and hair loss too.

Thyroid problems - Hypo or hyperthyroidism can cause graying of the hair. Check your thyroid function.

What about cosmetics and all the highly advertised hair coloring agents?
Coloring the hair is a complex topic which I know very little about. But read chapter six in Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me. It's at the public library. It's a good book about all aspects of hair care.