[21 years old] Jaw & Maxilla Progress, Temporalis Muscle

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
ShrunkenFace

[21 years old] Jaw & Maxilla Progress, Temporalis Muscle

Post by ShrunkenFace »

Hey guys!

It's been a year. I kept mewing and made some good jaw and maxilla progress. I also realized that I don't have an enlarged temporalis bone but rather the muscle is enlarged which I guess is easier to handle than the bone. Still, what can I do against it?

With that, let's go over to my temporalis muscle.

Left side (mouth closed) | Right side (mouth open):

When I close my mouth, the temporalis muscle gets flexed. I thought of botox but it brings a few side effects with it. It could be a side effect of mewing. I hope you guys can help me out. I know that Tom has experience with the facial muscles. Maybe he knows what is going on here and how to change the over usage of that muscle without using my jaw less. Hmm.

But as mentioned I really made progress with my jaw and maxilla though.

The angle of my jaw is close to 90°, the beard gives the illusion of a different angle. However, everything you see there is jaw bone and no cover up by the beard. Note how the maxilla tilted up and grew forward and how the angle of my nose changed significantly. I always complained about a big nose in my youth. Today I know that the underlying problem was a recessed maxilla which caused the appearance of a big and crooked nose. Nowadays it looks small for me and fits to my wider palate.

Thoughts? :roll:
Last edited by ShrunkenFace on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShrunkenFace

Re: [21 y./o.] Jaw & Maxilla Progress, Temporalis Muscle, Ey

Post by ShrunkenFace »

Would it help to train the auricularis muscles to close the gap between my ear and the temporalis muscle? It looks like a ball that is bulging out.

Maybe use botox on the temporalis muscle to hypertrophy it?
Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: [21 years old] Jaw & Maxilla Progress, Temporalis Muscle

Post by Tom Hagerty »

It looks like a ball that is bulging out.
I would not have noticed it unless you pointed it out. When you contract your jaw, the temporalis muscle on the left side is bigger than on the right side. When there is no contraction of the jaw muscle, that small bulge disappears.
Temporalis bulge upon contraction.jpg
Temporalis bulge upon contraction.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
You wrote, "Maybe use botox on the temporalis muscle to hypertrophy it?"

What you meant is that you would like some atrophy in that temporalis muscle so that it does not bulge upon chewing or contracting your masseter muscles. I wouldn't be concerned about that small imperfection in your face because your face in general and your forehead in particular look fine. But of course I am not you. You want perfection or something close to it.

My suggestions:

1. Do you regularly chew on the left side of your mouth? This could make the temporalis muscle on that side larger. Try chewing on the right side of your mouth.

2. Botox could definitely reduce the size of the temporalis muscle but I don't know if that reduction would be permanent. After you stopped the Botox injections, the muscle might regain its original size. The temporalis is like the masseter muscle. Once it is large it's hard to reduce its size. As you get older it will probably get smaller though. But you definitely don't want to wait for that.
Temporalis muscle, large and complex
Temporalis muscle, large and complex
Modiolus.png (91.71 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Why do you want facial perfection? Are you a TV or film actor? Or do you just want perfection for your personal satisfaction? My own view is that the quest for facial perfection and absolute facial symmetry is an unrealistic goal unless you are a photography model or doing close-ups as a screen actor.

Before his success in Streetcar Named Desire on the New York stage, Marlon Brando did a screen test in Hollywood. An officious assistant director told him that he would never be a successful screen actor because his nose was messed up and his mouth was crooked.
ShrunkenFace

Re: [21 years old] Jaw & Maxilla Progress, Temporalis Muscle

Post by ShrunkenFace »

Tom Hagerty wrote:
It looks like a ball that is bulging out.
I would not have noticed it unless you pointed it out. When you contract your jaw, the temporalis muscle on the left side is bigger than on the right side. When there is no contraction of the jaw muscle, that small bulge disappears.
Temporalis bulge upon contraction.jpg
You wrote, "Maybe use botox on the temporalis muscle to hypertrophy it?"

What you meant is that you would like some atrophy in that temporalis muscle so that it does not bulge upon chewing or contracting your masseter muscles. I wouldn't be concerned about that small imperfection in your face because your face in general and your forehead in particular look fine. But of course I am not you. You want perfection or something close to it.

My suggestions:

1. Do you regularly chew on the left side of your mouth? This could make the temporalis muscle on that side larger. Try chewing on the right side of your mouth.

2. Botox could definitely reduce the size of the temporalis muscle but I don't know if that reduction would be permanent. After you stopped the Botox injections, the muscle might regain its original size. The temporalis is like the masseter muscle. Once it is large it's hard to reduce its size. As you get older it will probably get smaller though. But you definitely don't want to wait for that.
Modiolus.png
Why do you want facial perfection? Are you a TV or film actor? Or do you just want perfection for your personal satisfaction? My own view is that the quest for facial perfection and absolute facial symmetry is an unrealistic goal unless you are a photography model or doing close-ups as a screen actor.

Before his success in Streetcar Named Desire on the New York stage, Marlon Brando did a screen test in Hollywood. An officious assistant director told him that he would never be a successful screen actor because his nose was messed up and his mouth was crooked.
I don't really care about perfection. It's just I look like an alien now because my auricular area (ear muscles etc.) is so narrow and then this thick temporalis muscle suddenly pops out. I think even a good transition would satisfy me. Would training my ear muscles fill that gap?

To your question: I don't chew on that side.

Thanks for the answer and help!