Microcurrent + facial exercises?

Discussions on how to do facial exercises and what these exercises might accomplish.
Minny

Microcurrent + facial exercises?

Post by Minny » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:38 am

Hello Tom,
I'm a newbie to your program and have the following questions.

What is your feeling about the Tua Viso microcurrent device? I've been using it for about a year and I do believe it has firmed and toned my face, but I'd like more improvement, especially in the eye and jaw area, and neck (just turned 49). Does microcurrent stimulation do the same thing as facial exercises, in your opinion? Would I be ok doing both, but alternating a few times per week with each?

Do you recommend that a person give their face a break for a day or two each week, or is doing your exercises daily ok, even for a beginner? (no tua viso on the same day)

I look forward to starting your program as soon as I can be sure I'm doing the exercises correctly. I've read a lot of scary things about "overbuilding" areas of the face on other forums, where people end up with a "monkey mouth" with your mouth exercise or a neanderthal forehead overhang with other programs. :shock: They've made me afraid of doing these wrong, so I'm taking it slowly.

Thank you for your help!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Re: Microcurrent + facial exercises?

Post by Tom Hagerty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:19 pm

You've been using Tua Viso for about a year and believe it has firmed and toned your face. Your testimonial is more credible than the usual testimonials about this product that I see on the Internet - "I have been using Tua Viso for a month and WOW it really works!" All these glowing reports have the look of advertising copy.

I know electrostimulation keeps muscles from atrophying. When a person has nerve damage he often gets three or four electrostimulation sessions a week till the nerve becomes healthy again and can again trigger muscle contraction. But is electrostimulation as good as exercise in toning up and strengthening skeletal muscles, including facial muscles. I don't think this passive form of muscle stimulation is as productive as actual exercise. If a person tends to be a little lazy, though, the pricey Tua Viso device is better than just doing nothing.

You want to know if both electrostimulation and active exercise can work effectively together. I don't see any reason why they can't. My opinion is, however, that if you do a program of facial exercises correctly, you don't need Tua Viso or the "updated skin care routine" Tua Tre'nd. I love that fancy apostrophy. :P This bit of sophistication should add at least $50 to the price.

You asked if it's OK to take a break in an exercise routine occasionally. I take a break sometimes for a week but not more than this. Three times a week should be the minimum; breaks should be a rarity.
I've read a lot of scary things about "overbuilding" areas of the face on other forums, where people end up with a "monkey mouth" with your mouth exercise or a neanderthal forehead overhang with other programs.
What I've experienced myself and seen in others who have done facial exercise is that nothing happens to the essential shap of the face or features. Facial exercise just tones up the muscles of the face without adding bulk. It also keeps the skin overlying the facial muscles from sagging. Sometimes, though, the exercise for the mouth muscle - orbicularis oris - makes the mouth a little fuller in women but not in men.

I've been a bodybuilder, and still am, and know that physical exercise adds bulk to muscles. Then why doesn't facial exercise add bulk to the facial muscles? I don't have a good answer for this. The most dramatic change in appearance I've seen related to facial exercise is in the front of the neck and the jawline. This has nothing to do with adding bulk, just with firming up this area that deteriorates as a person ages.

Minny

Post by Minny » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:57 pm

Tom Hagerty wrote:My opinion is, however, that if you do a program of facial exercises correctly, you don't need Tua Viso or the "updated skin care routine" Tua Tre'nd. I love that fancy apostrophy. This bit of sophistication should add at least $50 to the price.
:lol: Love that.

Here is what others are saying about why some exercises do add bulk (overbuilding they call it) while others do not. The reason, I have read people say, is b/c some facial exercises are resistance exercises (they build fullness in your face) while others are merely toning exercises that do not build at all, but merely tone. They have likened it to exercises in the gym that build muscle vs. exercises that merely tone. But what I hear you say is that doesn't apply to the face (or at least not to your exercises)? Is that correct?

Regarding the scalp exercise, and I'm not sure how to phrase this question, but what exactly am I using to try to move my ears back? Just concentrating on it doesn't do anything. I find I open my eyes like I'm staring (or trying to mesmerize my ears into obeying?) or using jaw or neck muscles. When I lay down, and raise my eyebrows, I can hear my head moving on the pillow but when I put my hands on the back of my head I don't feel anything when my eyebrows are moving up and down. Since you say it's very slight at first, and probably won't be seen or felt, I'm not sure how I'll know what I'm doing right to continue to do and work on. Do you know what I mean?

One other question about #5...where is the ocipitalis in relation to the 2 bumps on the back of the head (the bottom of my skull)?

Thank you!

Tom Hagerty
Site Admin

Post by Tom Hagerty » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Some facial exercises are resistance exercises (they build fullness in your face) while others are merely toning exercises that do not build at all, but merely tone.
Resistance exercises versus toning exercises - that might be a false dichotomy. Most effective facial exercises have some degree of resistance. The ones that aren't effective at all, like rubbing the lines away and patting the facial skin, appeal to many women because the maneuvers are gentle and feminine. I don't want to say categorically they don't work because I have never used and don't have any experience with them. Believing that exercise without resistance produces results is almost like believing that pricey anti-aging creams can tone up sagging facial muscles.

I think the facial muscles need more than these dainty measures, but they don't need really harsh measures. I think my program of exercises strikes a happy medium. These exercises thoroughly work the muscles but they don't overwork them.

Your main concern, though, is - does facial exercise "overbuild" one's facial features? I wish I could tell you with 100 percent certainty that it does not. Perhaps some people with large features may find that their features become larger. I don't know if this is true. It's just speculation.
Regarding the scalp exercise...
I've written so much about this topic already that I just don't have the energy to write more. Go to my other website - Hair Loss Is Reversible - and read some of the instruction there. And study the anatomical drawing of the back of the head. This might help you visualize where these muscles are and how to gain control of them.
Attachments
Occipitalis Muscle.gif
Anatomical Drawing
Occipitalis Muscle.gif (10.42 KiB) Viewed 8739 times