Success! Log Out | Topics | Search
Back to Shape Your Face | Moderators | Edit Profile

Shape Your Face » Facial Exercises » Success! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Linda R
Username: Linda

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am seeing some success with these excercises. I started them about 6 weeks ago and can see an improvement in my eyes and moth. Still struggling with getting my ears to move but have had some slight imrovement. Had my sixtieth birthday last week and everyone said I looked marvelous! Must be doing something right! Before and after pics are a good idea Amy wish I had thought of that at the start.

Tom R
Username: Newbie_face_1

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 05:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Congrats Linda!Its always astounding to see people especially in our more mature years who can look younger even when we start later than the young folks. I wished I'd known about this in my twenties.
But hey...I just got carded today when I was picking up some wine at the store and the clerk said there was no way I looked any where closed to 40.
Linda, if you have your webcam handy there by your computer you can always take a few snapshots but you don't have to post them unless you want to.

C M
Username: Ceeme

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Congratulations to both of you! Isn't it wonderful when you realize you've made strides? Linda, you don't even have to worry that you didn't take any at the start. There has to be a photo somewhere that you took not too long before you started, even a year ago would work, say at Christmas or some event. They could pass as "before" photos. Then you can take another one now or later to get an "after" photo. Comparing the two would show you how far you've come.

Tom R, you were carded? How awesome! See? I was just going to your thread to answer your question and then I see this. :-) I was in AZ and was carded too. I don't buy alcohol usually, since I don't drink (This was for family who love a beer every now and then), so I assumed it was normal procedure. When the cashier exclaimed, "You are over 30?!" and passed my ID to her colleague who also stared in disbelief, I was flattered but I didn't understand what my age had to do with being carded. I was then informed by my 20-sth companion that if you look over 30, they don't usually card you--at which point she added that she takes offense now because they never card her. LOL!

So there you are! If it is true that they only card you if you look like you're in your 20's and they need to make sure you're over 21, what does THAT tell you about how you look Tom R? :-)

Tom R

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yep, CM thats right!I had my sunglasses on and the majority of my face is very smooth but where I show more of my biological age is around my bottom eyelids. The crows feet are pretty apparent which I guess most peoples' are if you've spent any amount of time in the sun plus that is usually the first place the face starts to show signs of aging as Tom has mentioned in his study of the facial anatomy.
By the way CM, I've only just begun the exercises and its #1 where I seem to have the most problem.
I can only feel a full contraction of the orbicularis oculi and the nasalis muscles when I purse the lips together otherwise the scalp exercise seems to do the trick better.
How are you doing with that?

C M

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Tom R:

I think it will take time for you to feel the contraction with the rest of your face relaxed. Aim for that full relaxation of your face and isolation of just the eyes.

When I started the exercise, it was frustrating that I could not seem to keep the eye that wasn't being worked open like Tom can. But I decided to concentrate on proper form: doing the wink without creating creases elsewhere on my face. I started to try to mimic dolls that close their eyes, by letting my top eyelid come to meet the bottom one then squeezing ever so slightly. I tried to do more reps in that relaxed state till the muscle would feel tired.

I think w/ time and me going it slow, my orbicularis oculi muscles have gotten stronger so that I feel the contraction a little more than I did in the beginning. But you are right, doing it with scalp exercise does indeed feel more effective.

Tom R, I don't know if you've ever seen an exercise found in a lot of face exercise programs for the upper eyelid that involves holding eyebrows up and fixed with fingers and closing the eyes. Well, Eva Fraser's version of the exercise involves creating a C shape with your fingers so you're not just holding up the center of the eyebrows but also that area above where crows' feet form. I don't know if that's what has kept my crows' feet at bay--as I've known of the exercise for years--and I don't know how it will affect any progress you're making w/ Tom's program. I tend to think that one is better off sticking to just one exercise program at a time in order to see the results one seeks, but I thought I'd mention that exercise as I did it even when I wasn't doing a particular program and suspect it may not be a bad idea to try it. The exercise is explained and demonstrated on this page:
http://www.evafraser.com/facial_fitness.html

Caroline Cleaves also has an exercise for crows' feet on this page: http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/Sample%20Exerci.html

Again, please note that I learned of those exercises when I was doing those programs and so I have no idea what effect they'd be on their own. So proceed w/ caution. Otherwise, just do Tom's program. After all, as you learn to isolate your muscles, you may find you don't scrunch it up as much and may actually find the lines diminishing, especially as your scalp and forehead muscle get stronger and more toned.

I talk about learning to relax the face in another post. I'm guessing the thread in which I discuss learning to relax your face so that it becomes more expressive when you do show some emotion is the one started by Tammy R entitled "New to Facial Exercising".

(Psst...Tom, could you pin up a thread where you clue us on how to use codes. I am on other forums but posting photos or links doesn't baffle me as much as it does here. A "How-To for Dummies" thread would be really helpful. Thanks in advance. :-) )

Tom R

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks CM. I've been going very slow with these exercises just as you have suggested since this is one of those procedures that forces you to practice good form and getting used to the feel of which muscle is doing what. Opening one eye and squinting the other without scrunching the closed eye isn't really the challenge for me though, it's doing it and getting a contraction around the orbicularis oculi and nasalis muscles simultaneously. Anyway, I think we've covered it pretty well and you've been a great help. I just need to "keep practicing"

By the way CM...to post a photo just click on the tab below the comments section where it says "upload attachment". I believe thats what your looking for, right?

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

C M:

Click on Formatting in the left frame, then scroll down to Image, Attachments, and Clipart. I usually use the code in example one for Image:

Young Ingrid.

Now you have to click Preview/Post Message. Then you have to click Post this Message. I'm just going through the steps right now in order to show the magic of genuine beauty - Ingrid Bergman at 14 years old.

C M

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you Tom and Tom R...I never even noticed the Upload Attachment button below, or realized that the frame to the left had anything to do with this forum. (I know, I know, it is indeed true that I am as dumb as I look ). Now I can make my posts less boring.

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

C M mentioned that Carolyn Cleaves has an exercise to diminish or eliminate crow's feet, and gave a link to the exercise. Take a look at Carolyn's website - Carolyn's Facial Fitness.

Here's an article that she published recently:

Facial Exercises Can Firm Up the Skin

By Carolyn Cleaves

Facial exercises do NOT stretch the skin and here's why. According to Frederick Rossiter, M.D. - a medical doctor and past professor of anatomy and physiology at a university that teaches medical doctors - the muscles in the face are organized a little differently than the muscles in the rest of the body. Mostly in the body the muscles attach bone to bone. They slide under the fascia. In the face, the muscles attach first to the bone and then directly into the skin or another muscle through the fascia. So, in the face, essentially, the muscles come first, then the fascia and then the layers of skin where the muscles fibers end. This structure allows us to show facial expression.

The fascia is a lace like structure that is present in the entire body. In these "lace-like" pockets in the fascia we find fat deposits. We call them "subcutaneous fat" in the face. As we age, these deposits become less and less. The loss of this fat is probably responsible for most of our facial sagging. As we build muscle fiber with facial exercises, we literally "mimic" the look of these fat deposits, giving the face that youthful, firm look of youth. Furthermore, since ten times more oxygen comes to a contracted muscle than not, the skin's ability to absorb moisture is increased and its elasticity is enhanced. Remember, the skin is "elastic" but it is also "alive". It does not necessarily stretch out of shape like an "inorganic" piece of elastic. The skin is a living organism.

As we exercise the face and tone the muscles, the fascia becomes more supple and elastic. You are pumping fluid back into the fascia through exercise. As the muscle continues to tone and build muscle fiber, it literally lifts the skin with its firming up process. It is imperative that you always contract a muscle before sliding across the skin so that the integrity of the skin stays intact. Consequently, you not only can rid yourself of wrinkles and fine lines but you also can firm up the skin at the same time. This process of contracting the muscle before sliding across the skin ensures you cannot stretch the skin. Click on this link or copy and paste it into your browser and it will take you to sample exercises demonstrating how this works:
Sample Exercise

Carolyn Cleaves is the owner/founder of Carolyn's Facial Fitness - Facelift Through Exercise. A former model, schoolteacher, speaker and researcher in the field of facial exercises, she offers an easy-to-learn, easy-to-use facial exercise program with a 15-minute workout that you can use in the privacy of your own home for purchase here:
Carolyn's Facial Fitness

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Guess who this is and win a round-trip to the Olympic Games in Beijing plus a dinner date with either Michael Phelps (after he wins eight gold medals) or Dara Torres (great face and body for a 41-year-old woman athlete).

Carolyn Cleaves

Tom R

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thats Carolyn Cleaves!

C M

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hahaha...Tom, you better have Tom R's prize ready!

Tom R, don't you wish this had been asked in good time for you to be there for the Olympics Opening Ceremony? Wasn't it out of this world?!

For anyone that missed it, here's a replay:
2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony

Tom R

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You bet! it's taking the time off from work that would be the problem though :-(

Patsie K
Username: Patsie

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good thread, informative and intertaining. I just want to say that the scalp exercise, exercise #5, really does make a difference in how the face looks. It took away my hooded eyelids and raised my eyebrows. and all without surgery.

It is Carolyn cleaves. You can send me my tickets to the Olympic Games. I am ready to go now that my face is looking good.

C M

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I notice Tom hasn't been back to pay up. Or do you all suppose he answered his own question first and flew off to Beijing w/o saying g'bye? Hmm...

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

C M:

I'll be back after I say good-bye to all my Chinese friends.

Nice Girls

C M

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Aha! Just as I suspected.

Too funny, Tom!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.