Shape Your Face » Facial Exercises » How to reduce face fat? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sera
Username: Sera

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi
i am a 20 yr old grl
i am veryyy slim and have a veryy thin body but have chubby cheeks which i dont like because they dont give me a slim look :-(:-(
can any facial exercise help to reduce chubby cheeks? any way to reduce face fat? please help :-(
cant go on a diet cz i am already very thin :-(

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sera:

I know that a woman's face looks more dramatic and appealing if it is lean and has prominent bone structure. Some women with these angular features do not age well though. There is a natural loss of fatty padding and collagen in the face as a woman grows older. You might not believe it now but you are probably lucky to have "chubby cheeks" at this stage of your life.

But you asked me a specific question: "can any facial exercise help to reduce chubby cheeks?"

The short answer is - no. There is no such thing as spot reduction. Muscle and fat are two different tissues, completely independent of one another. When you exercise your facial muscles you will tone them up. This toning up of the facial muscles will not burn off the fat adjacent to these muscles though.

Most people lose fat on their face by losing overall body weight. You cannot do this because you are already thin. Women who go on crash diets or engage in long-distance running often lose too much weight. If a woman's fat percentage goes below 18%, she will stop menstruating and have other hormonal problems, even hair loss.

Keep healthy, exercise, and eat nutritious foods. You will most likely lose your chubby cheeks naturally as you get older.

C M
Username: Ceeme

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Sera:

I agree w/ Tom that you will lose the chubbiness you so dislike now with time, and in later years, you'll long for it because as we age, we lose fat and muscle and start to look really gaunt.

I was your age when I started face exercises and I think that was the wisest decision I ever made. And with a face like you describe, if you start now, you will probably always look years younger than your peers if you take good care of your skin, eat well, stay happy and do face exercises.

Sera

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanx fer all the advices
but i dont get one thing.. how do all actresses and models succeed in reducing face fat?
look at the indian actress KAREENA KAPOOR
she has a very slim face now
and many actresses and models reduce face fat without reducing weight
howz that possible ? :-(:-(:-(
actually i already have high cheekbones .. my face structure is like that.. but i want to make them more porminent
there's no way of reducing chubby cheeks? :-(
how do models do is then? :-(

Sera

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

and one more question
if exercising helps to reduce body fat.. then why dont facial exercises help to reduce face fat?

C M

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know why face exercises don't burn fat. Maybe it's because the muscles there aren't that big to burn the fat. I know aerobic exercises are one of the quickest ways to burn fat, so not sure how you'd do aerobic face exercises?

Celebrities get cosmetic procedures done to change their faces. But you really don't want to do that. Most people who've had fat removed usually go back to have fat put back or other fillers and their faces always seem to need a bit of tweaking. I implore you not to mess with that.

Anyway, I can assure you Sera that I used to have a round face and now have a bit of definition although sometimes I wish my lower face was a bit fuller. Why don't you just start to do the exercises and see how you fare with them? Really, you will start to be so happy with your own unique face and not long to look like Kareena or anyone else. And if by age 25 you're not happy with your face, then we can talk some more.

I do not like this look on her:
http://www.bollynewz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/kareena-kapoor-interview.jpg

I prefer this look by far:
http://www.bollywoodarchive.com/images/actress/kareena-kapoor-4235-kareena_photo .jpg

She looks so much older in that former photo where her face looks thinner. One thing you'll notice in older faces is when they smile, they do not have the fullness in their laugh lines that you see in say Rihanna:
http://thetrendsetter.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/rihanna1.jpg

Compare that with the laugh lines in someone a little older like Rosie Perez:
http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/rosie-perez.jpg

Notice how much thinner her skin looks than Rihanna. Also do you see how much older she looks than say

Sandra Bullock who was born the same year as Rosie looks so much younger because her face is a bit fuller:
http://www.brightandearlyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sandrabullock1.jpg

So you see, you're ahead of a lot of people if you start exercising your face now. You'll be able to keep it looking young for years. Here's a photo of a 60-year old woman with a wide face that looks way younger. I'm sure that the fullness in it is part of the reason she looks young:
http://images105.fotki.com/v461/photos/3/31573/211946/MyrtisJones60-vi.jpg

Toned faces and young faces have a thickness in the skin that is so beautiful to behold that I wish you'd cherish what you have and start exercising early so you hold onto that thickness for as long as you can. Trust me, you will get the definition you seek in due time.

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

C M and Sera:

I looked at all the faces closely. I think there is something intensely dramatic and expressive about overly thin faces. Cameras love these anorexic faces and of course you see them on the covers of fashion magazines. The only problem with these faces is that they do not age well.

Sondra Bullock might not be as photogenic as some anorexic young starlet, but she's going to be around for a long time. Her face is durable; it's also real. Sondra is a human being, not a starved caricature of a human being.

Kareena Kapoor also looks great. This is not a woman who is living on 500 calories a day. Her skin texture has a quality that most Hollywood actresses would die for. She's probably ageless.

The 60-year old woman's face is not just beautiful; it radiates personality and warmth. You can't radiate personality and warmth unless your really have these qualities. She makes an old guy's heart melt.

Sera

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanx alottt C M and Thomasss
thanx fer all the concern showed by both of you !
but my question remains unanswered :-(
ovcourse i dont want to go with surgeries and all
i want a natural way like exercising or something..
C M i understand whatever you wrote fer me and thanx a dozen fer that : )
but i dont want a too thin face.. but really want to reduce some of my face fat
Thomas or C M .. any other advice or somethin..
i mean any special kind of food aur diet contribute to these chubby cheeks which i can avoid?

C M

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sera, can you find a photo of someone on the Internet with your type of face? I really think you are worrying too much about something that will "correct" itself in a few years. Please try to find as close to your own face as you can. I'll also see if I can find photos of chubby cheeked faces if they can help you pinpoint the one you think resembles you.

(Sera, you pull at my heart's strings because I know in a few years you'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about. You'll be so grateful for the face you have now. I can almost bet my bottom dollar on that.)

But first get me a picture of what you're working with--unless you're comfortable posting your own picture here, which will even be better. I will then tell you what I have in mind.

Sera

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes i will try to find a picture that closely resembles my face structure and the amountof fat in it.. but thats actually very difficult.. but still i try.. but is that possible that we can talk on msn? that would be much esier and way less time consuming.. can you give me ure msn id? only if thats possile?

C M

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't have an MSN messenger ID. I actually don't like to stay online and chat. Can't afford the time. That's why I prefer to just stop by the forum when I can. I also like the forum because discussions which can be helpful to others who might be going through what you're going through are archived here for future reference. (Sorry)

I await that picture. :-)

Sera

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 03:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey am not trying to find such a picture :-( what shud we do now?
maybe am thinking too much over my face n stuff.. but i actually feel that am impropotionate.. my face is mch more healthier than my body..
i dont want to lose al the facial fat but a little bit..
so whats your opinion?

C M

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Sera:

You're NOT trying to find such a picture? OR do you mean you're having trouble finding one? I think I would be able to help you better if I understood what you were talking about, so please help me help you. Can you post your own picture perhaps covering your eyes? Or would you be comfortable sending it to Tom and he can perhaps send it to me--since I assume he has everyone's address. This way you don't have to put your address up on a public forum.

Or if you can tell me whose face yours resembles in shape--someone on the News or in magazines or movies--I can do a Google search for the image and then go from there.

Kate B
Username: Catherine_b

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Interesting thread. I would also like to see the kind of face that Sera is referring to. Most women as they get older lose the collagen and healthy fat cells that make faces looks feminine. The faces without this natural padding often look tired out and drawn.

Sera

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

i am having trouble to find one :-(
ummmm i think i can explain you
i have a wide face with high cheekbones
my cheeks are quite chubby and i want to lose fat from there..
can you give me two or three options and i chose from it?
cause i really dont know how to find such a pic
can you help me?

C M

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK, Sera, I'll try to find a variety of chubby faces so you can tell me which one closely resembles yours.

Before seeing your last post, I had remembered Phoebe Cates. In the mini-series "Lace" and "Lace II", I remember looking at her chubby face and thinking I'd never seen anyone so beautiful in my life. She was about 20 when that show was recorded. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the dates all the photos below were taken, but you can see how her chubby face has gradually gotten narrower with age. But more importantly, because she had fat and muscle on her face, her face has hardly aged in over 20 years! The bottom photo where she's seen with her hubby Kevin Kline and kids, Greta Kline and Owen Kline, she was about 37 or 38 years old. In the photo to the right of that one, she was 44.
http://images38.fotki.com/v1217/photos/3/31573/211946/PhoebeCatesAgelessChubbyFa ce-vi.jpg

Just so you can see how precious having a chubby face is, look at the extent some people go to get fillers in their faces to recapture they fullness they once had. Only none of that ever looks natural. Priscilla Presley is a perfect example of someone who's trying to go back to her younger days of having a fuller face. She was just a few days shy of 23 when she married Elvis (notice how chubby her face was at the wedding). Later it became narrow as she lost fullness w/ time--something that happens naturally (top left). She's in her 60's now but she couldn't stand to lose anymore fullness that she had her face altered w/ fillers so that some say she now looks like a clown (bottom right).
http://images39.fotki.com/v1227/photos/3/31573/211946/23laternarrowfacenowfilled face-vi.jpg

So you see, Sera, having a full face isn't a bad thing at all. And you can use highlighting and contouring (makeup) to create the illusion of having narrower cheeks w/o changing what will work best for you in the long run. Have you seen how that is done?

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

CM:

A woman with chubby cheeks when she was 18 was Angela Lansbury. In her first movie this was evident. The movie was Gaslight (1944) and she was nominated for the Academy Award. This actress aged well. She still looks good. A little fat on the cheeks when a person is young seems to ward off premature aging of the face.

Angela Lansbury

C M

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's the link that shows up, hoping the pictures aren't too small to see clearly:

http://images38.fotki.com/v1219/photos/3/31573/211946/ChubbyCheeks-vi.jpg

Tom, you couldn't have picked a more beautiful face! I adore Angela Lansbury. :-)

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

C M:

That little girl, third from the left on the bottom row in your link, is Abigail Breslin. I liked every one of her movies - Little Miss Sunshine, Definitely, Maybe, Nim's Island, and this Friday, Kit Kittridge, An American Girl. Kit Kittridge I think is going to make her the most sought-after actress in Hollywood.

But this 11-year-old has the same quality as Angela Lansbury. When you see her on-screen, you know there is something going on inside her head. She's full of life and wonder. Kids (girl kids) are going to make her the top box office draw after Kit Kittridge is released on Wednesday, July 2. They'll be begging their parents multiple times to take them to see it.

C M

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I agree with you, Tom, Abigail is awesome! You can't help but feel all warm and fuzzy inside watching her. You feel her realness and believe in whatever character she plays. It's funny you compare her to Angela because I think the same of her!

Sera

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey C M
i checked the link you pasted
NOT exactly but my face structure CLOSELY resembles the 8th picture with the red background or the 7th picture.. they have chubby cheeks but thin below the cheeks part
do u getme?
i want to reduce the chubbiness of my cheeks

C M

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Oh Sera, what a beautiful shape you have!!!

Your have the face Madonna and now her daughter have. Look at Madonna in high school:
http://www.iwascurious.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/madonna.jpg

And this is Madonna in her twenties, if I'm not mistaken:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/christopherJ_elston/madonna.jpg

And this is Madonna in her thirties:
http://www.traxusa.com/dance/images/madonnaTRAX7.90.jpg

Madonna's daughter Lourdes looks like a mini-Madonna and so will probably have the same definition as she grows as her mom did:

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2007/11/LOURDES%20LEON.JPG

Tom pointed out how Abigail Breslin (Picture #8) is a lot like Angela Lansbury and you can see that in the face of young Angela:
http://www.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/169/169888.jpg

Now look at the picture Tom posted of Angela much older and it should give you an idea of how beautifully such a face ages.

Now if you do face exercises to keep your muscles toned, you should see even better results with time. You'll have a face like Angela at her age but with firmness and smoothness of a younger lady, but not frozen in time like Priscilla Presley is going for. It'll be you at your best at that age.

The face you have now is the face many people strive to get. The reason I was asking for an image of your face was because if you had a wider lower face like picture #4, there's an exercise by Eva Fraser that is good for slimming the lower face. I sought her permission to share it here should you be a good candidate for it while I waited for your response. The exercise really focuses on the lower face and so would probably over-emphasize the cheeks you are feeling uncomfortable about. Your face is such an ideal shape that if you just work with what you have, not trying to change it, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how model-esque you'll become with time. (I will be back to post the exercise I mention later but in all honesty, I don't think you, Sera, really need this exercise. It might make your cheeks look chubbier than they are now, but perhaps someone else could benefit from it.)

Perhaps you could experiment with makeup--highlighting and contouring? Maybe these makeovers by the pro of contouring/highlighting Eve Pearl will inspire you to "fake it till you make it" to the age at which you will have the definition you yearn for: http://www.evepearl.com/galleries/Makeovers-tag-37/

Sera

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hey
thanx alotttttttt fer all the information : )
yeah i know i told you i dont have a wider lower face.. but i have wider cheek bones
HIgH cheekbones and wide too
and i think i cant do the exercise ure mentioning cz i cant afford to have more chubby cheeks
its not that i have a very chubby face.. but thats not acoordin to what i want
i like prominent cheeekbones but i have fat on it
i dont want to eliminate all of the fat from my cheeks otherwise i'll look weak
but there no exercise that targets the fat of the cheeks?
and one thing more.. does facial exercises widens the face?
and if i do the exercises mentioned here.. what will that do to my face?
i dont want to widen my face more but i heard somewhere that doin facial exercises can lead to a more wider face
and therez no exercise that target fat of the cheeks? :-(:-(:-( just a little bit

Sera

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

and C M
cant we get some other way too to talk
because this way we have to wait long fer the answers
if we could chat online on umm yahoo or sumthin?
cz you dont have an msn id rite?

C M

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From my experience (18 years of face exercises), it doesn't make much sense to target just one section of your face. All the muscles are either connected to other muscles or to a bone so if you work one muscle, you indirectly work another muscle. Most exercise programs are designed so that all the exercises, working on different parts of the face, work in unison to create a uniform lift and toning of the face. So trying to focus on working only one area could lead to an uneven and awkward toning and maybe undesirable results.

If you do the exercises on this site, you will keep your face from developing wrinkles and sag and may never have that problem since you are starting young. If you started later in life, it would take long to see results but you would see an improvement in due time if you stuck with the program. By toning your face muscles, the skin attached to them can't help but respond. You may also noticed improved complexion as blood flow to the skin is increased, bringing oxygen and nourishment to the cells of the skin while taking away toxins.

I don't think a good face exercise program will widen your face, but then I also know there are bodybuilders that bulk up faster than others. So it may depend on each individual. But perhaps the people who design the programs might better answer your questions on whether the exercises will widen your face or not. So I'll let Tom answer that for you.

I did Eva Fraser's program when I was your age and her program didn't widen my face. Her contact info is here: http://www.evafraser.com/contact.html if you'd like to ask her too what she thinks. Another person with years of face exercises is Carolyn Cleaves whose contact info is here: http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/Contact.html The more research you do, the more comfortable you will be with whatever program you choose.

Unfortunately, Sera, I usually don't like to be online for too long so I don't like instant messaging--hence the reason I don't have it. Even if I had MSN, I would probably get offline while you were still talking since I usually come to read what's there then run off to attend to other things only returning when I can afford the time. The reason I seem to take long getting back to you is because I am usually doing something else and so having MSN would not change the fact that I would not be logged on for any longer than I am here.

I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Sera

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

oh no problem at all .. ad you have been very helpful really :-)
hmm yeah you are right.. i think i should contact both of them and clear all the queries i have.. but thanx alot.. i really appreciate the effort and time you gave to me
THANX :-)

Thomas Hagerty
Board Administrator

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sera:

This article was just written by Dr. Andrew Weil in the Daily Tip from www.drweil.com.
Face Too Fat? Andrew Weil

Q. I have always had a really fat face. I think it runs in the family. Is there something I can do to reduce my puffy cheeks? I have a very slim body and run 30 minutes every day, but to no avail. I read that my fat face could be as a result of a slow-functioning liver. Can this be true?

A. In all likelihood your "fat face" and puffy cheeks are genetically determined particularly since you say that this look runs in your family. I doubt that your liver function has anything to do with the shape of your face unless your cheeks swelled suddenly, which does not appear to be the case.

As long as you are not overweight, there are no changes you can make in your diet or exercise habits to affect the shape of your face. Nor do I know of any dietary supplements that would make a difference. I've seen Internet promotions for facial exercises said to reshape the face, but there is no medical evidence that they work.

I'm not a big fan of cosmetic surgery, but it does offer the only dependable way to reshape the face. A procedure called buccal [cheek] fat pad excision (or, more simply, cheek reduction surgery) removes the facial fat that is responsible for puffy cheeks. The incision is made inside the cheeks. If this is something that interests you, bear in mind that with age everyone loses facial fat. Take a look at your relatives who had puffy cheeks when they were young. If their faces have thinned, you may be headed in the same direction, and surgery to remove fat from your face now could lead to a gaunt look later in life. If you want to consider surgery, be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is very experienced with the procedure.

However, before you think about something as drastic as surgery, you might ask a good hair stylist about the most flattering cut for your face. A fashion stylist might have ideas about the kinds of necklines that would minimize your facial fullness, and a make-up artist might give you some contouring tips that would help as well.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Dr. Weil says, "I've seen Internet promotions for facial exercises said to reshape the face, but there is no medical evidence that they work."

There is little medical evidence for the efficacy of facial exercise because medical research is not interested in facial exercise. Medical research is mostly done on pharmaceuticals, surgery, laser technology, imaging techniques, and other high-priced interventions. Facial exercise is low-tech and bargain-basement.

Sera

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ooh so that means facial exercise can reduce face fat?
didnt get your point.. can my face fat reduce other than havin surgery or anything ?

C M

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No, Sera, I don't think that is what Tom is saying. Tom was only explaining why there is little medical evidence as Dr Weil says. And I don't think Dr Weil said that either. He doesn't believe face exercise or diet can reduce fat in your face. He echoes what I said earlier: that cosmetic surgery can remove fat from your face and adds, as I too stated, that as you get older, your face will lose its fullness anyway and if you have fat removed by surgery, you'll look gaunt in a few years and so much older than your years.

I do like his suggestion to get a hair stylist to cut your hair in a way that minimizes your cheeks. Why won't you try that and contouring? Did you contact Eva and Carolyn like I suggested? What did they tell you?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.